• Similar Content

• By DerHusker
      I been wanting to do this for a long time but didn’t have a proper equipment or the correct weather conditions. I recently bought an A-MAZE-N smoking tube.

It was expected to get down to 41 degrees (fairly cool nights for Southern California) and it was only 67 during the day so I decided to give this a try. Around 4:00 PM I started by cooling the kamado down by placing 5 pieces of Blue Ice in it.

Around 8:30 it reached 50 degrees outside, so I started up the A-MAZE-N smoking tube in my gasser so as not to heat up the kamado.

Once it ignited, I let it burn for a few minutes

before blowing out the flame.

I let it smoke while I went in and prepared the cheese. I had purchased 2 lbs. of Gouda, Colby Jack and Sharp Cheddar at Costco.

I took them out of their wrappers.

I cut them up into smaller sizes so they could absorb more smoke and placed them on a wire rack.

I then placed the A-MAZE-N smoking tube in the bottom of my kamado. I next put in both of my ceramic heat deflectors, then the grill grates and then the rack of cheese. (You can see some of the smoke coming up around the deflectors)

I closed the lid and observed a small amount of smoke coming out the top vent.

An hour later it looked like this.

After two hours in the smoke I opened the lid. WOW!

I brought the rack in the house where I could see a subtle change in the cheese color.

I vacuum packed them all and placed them in the fridge to age and mellow for 3 weeks.

This morning I when out to see how much of the pellets were left in the A-MAZE-N smoking tube. It looks like approximately 1/3 was left unburnt. I’m thinking it could’ve gone at least another hour.

I can’t wait to try them but will wait to let time do its thing on them first.

Thanks for looking.
    • By MickeyTheShoe
      Hi All, 

this was my second attempt at a cold smoked salmon. Attempt #1 was a learning curve for sure. I used a tail end of pink salmon (mistakes #1 and #2). I also pressed the salmon under a plate with 2 cans of tomatoes (mistake #3) in a 50/50 salt/sugar dry rub for 48 hours (Mistake #4). Finally I smoked the whole thing for 12 hours (5th and final mistake) on Adler pellets for 12 hours using an A-MAZE-N maze. The end result was something closer to salmon prosciutto in the centre of the fillet and salmon jerkey on the edges. Now, it wasn’t terrible per say. But it was way too smoky, way too salty a d had the wrong texture.

For attempt #2 i went 50/50 salt/sugar dry cure  on a thick, head end piece of fillet from an atlantic salmon. Cured for 24 hours in a vac bag, turned half way through. Rinsed and purged for 30 minutes then dried on a wire rack to form a pellicle for 4 hours. 4hrs of smoke this time around in the KJ. SloRoller set up for indirect cold smoking. We’re having a snow storm up here in Canada right now, but the temp still bumped up almost 20C to 15C ambient inside the smoker. The end result was pretty spot on in texture. Next tine i may take the cure down another 6 hours to 18 hours, but i’m quite happy with the 4hrs of Smoke. The texture was spot on, maybe a little drier than expected but no complaints. 

Please let know if any of you cold smoking veterans have any tips. Im currently equilibrium curing a 3lb piece of pork belly for bacon for next weekend. Planning to smoke in 3 Separate 12 hr sessions. That will be pork belly attempt number 1. 

• By Burntoffering
      so having succesfully used my kamado as a smoking cabinet for cold smoked salmon, I thought id give bacon a try, using some belly pork from Costco and dry brining over 7 days followed by a 12 hour cold smoke, the results where great, so now I have pork loin brining for back bacon (canadian bacon)