veryzer

Can the Joetisserie effectively be used to roast coffee?

I understand that I'd obviously need a basket, but based on the little I've found, it turns to slowly...that coffee roasters are somewhere around 40-50 rpm. I read a post from a while back where someone mentioned changing out the motor for a variable speed one, but no mention of the specific kind. I'd appreciate any enlightenment you could provide on the topic.

yes, people do it.  there is a Kamado coffee roaster Facebook group.  personally I have been home roasting green beans in a behmor 1600 since before I owned a Kamado.  I would strongly encourage anyone to try.  I haven't roasted coffee in my Joe but am a fairly experienced home roaster.  please let me know if I can help.

It sounds like you won't be the first pioneer to try this, but if you do come up with a usable roasting container, I urge you to immediately copyright "Kamado  Koffee Kage" and start producing them.  There seems to be a demand.

Interesting idea, and more interesting that people are actually doing it! I've been roasting my own using a dog bowl and heat gun for years, but this is intriguing. 

-Andrew

On 6/1/2020 at 11:06 AM, len440 said:

Aduria You didn't name your dog Java did you?

Ha, no - my kid named her when she was into Greek mythology - Persephone ("Sephy"). I do love the java though. 

-Andrew 

People do it but they change out to a faster motor. The popular brand name to buy is Tritogenia. I've been on the fence about trying it out. 

I roasted coffee beans I obtained in Peru using my  Joetisserie and a peanut roasting  basket,  it turned out great.