keeperovdeflame

Avitar Origin Story

I'll start, the name keeperovdeflame, came from my niece and her husband at a Fathers / Uncles day BBQ years and years ago. Prior to the BBQ my loving niece sent me this card. At the BBQ after a number of adult libations, along with 4 racks of ribs, roasted Mexican street corn on the cob , and cowboy beans with hatch chilis,  not to mention a couple of deviled eggs, her husband uttered keeperovdeflame in rap time and a deep Barry White voice, much  to the enjoyment and laughter of all. Hence the name was born and ever shall be. . 

IMG_1345.thumb.jpeg.f5e2b81741f969764d5985c0eb278c57.jpeg

IMG_1346.thumb.jpeg.d85cfa2b169652c71dd787e0069a7ab5.jpeg

All my nieces and their husbands (2) got me a custom carved handle for my Egg for Christmas one year. If da shoe fits wear it. 

IMG_1347.thumb.jpeg.d38230315100a3305e095703c088350e.jpeg

Great story and fantastic way to earn the name!

I've mentioned it here years ago, nothing special here.  Once upon a time I had a corporate network user name "philpom".  It was derived from the algorithm they used.  I kept it here for my desire to remain anonymous.   Bits and pieces have slipped here and there, it is what it is.  

My nic is pretty simple.  I lived in Carmel Valley for 25 years and was there when email first arrived (remember the awful name suggestions you got from AOL?).  Anyway I adopted "danincv" and still retain that email on one mail provider.  When we moved to Prunedale 18 years ago to have more room for our horse breeding operation, I became "daninpd" on another provider.  And so I am that, here.   You can probably guess my first name from all that.

I was dubbed with K^2 or 'K squared' more than 40 years ago by my supervisor. It's based on my first and last initials.

My background is engineering and I was working for an electronics manufacturing company. K times K equals K squared

in math. I shortened it to K_sqrd for login purposes and have used it all these years. Funny how things stick with you. LOL!

Keper

The flaming weber grill shows your skill as a backyard grill master, because  you still have your eyebrows!

So... I fell bass akwards (as my dad would say) into kamado cooking. The husband wanted a new Weber gasser (a shiny Summit S-420 had caught his eye).  Well, he was slowly working on me over a number of weeks and occasionally drug me to the outdoor living store on the weekends in an attempt to wear me down (he’s persistent - I’ll give him that). One weekend we went for the obligatory perusal of said Weber grill and found ourselves at an Eggfest being hosted by the outdoor living store. We wandered about some, but of course were not interested in weird green things and instead just wanted a shiny silver thing. So we sampled a few of the cooks (not terribly impressed to be honest) and then went in so my husband could ogle the gassers while I waited patiently for the moment we could leave...  

To keep the daughter entertained, we gave her some cash to play a family friendly beer pong type game that they were doing.  When we were ready to leave, she had a fistful of tickets in hand that she had won (flash forward to visions of her college years... yikes), so we decided to wait around for the prize drawing. Next thing we knew, we were loading a Mini Big Green Egg into the back of the truck (and no gasser... lol).

I started researching a bit, but the mini BGE sat idle in the garage for months. One day, curiosity got the best of me and I fired it up and “cooked” a ham.  I was totally hooked. I spent my nights going through posts on the Guru and became a full fledged lurker. And eventually, I wanted to be able to search (pretty sure that was prompted by the need to find ckreef’s cracker crust).  At that point I had to come up with a user name. I wanted something catchy and something that reflected my fortune that day we won the Mini Big Green Egg. A little theasaurus work later, and I landed on Kismet (meaning destiny or fate). It was perfect. So that was the day Kismet Kamado was born. And then I lurked for a lot longer before I got brave enough to post something.  And eventually the floodgates opened and now you people can’t get me to shush and have to listen to my long winded stories...  :)

And yes, that shiny Weber Summit eventually landed on my deck. I like to think it was a small token that earned me some good will for the flock of kamados that was to follow.  

@Vanole - Good question!  I know you are very familiar with the dance... :)  

In the end, I think we both usually end up getting what we want (“winning”) and both have the satisfaction of feeling that we have worked the other one over to get there... when in all reality, it’s just a game we play where all along we know what the final destination is... it just becomes a matter of how convoluted of a route we can take to get there. 

And the daughter, who is the critical, yet understated, pivotal character of this story... Well, I’m not one to brag, but those superior beer pong skills came from somewhere... and the fact of the matter is Mr. KK is just not that talented. So really, when you take the transverse relation of the origin to the action that put the Rube Goldberg machine in motion, we prove the theorem that I am the one who wore everyone else down eventually... in a roundabout zig-zaggy way. 

Posted (edited)

pretty self explanatory really- Central Texas born and raised.

Central Texas is where mom's parents and her sixteen siblings toiled endlessly and mostly unprofitably as sharecroppers. It's where my dad, grand parents and at least thirteen uncles and aunts are buried. It's home to the Baylor Bears, Texas Longhorns, the Texas A&M Aggies and some of the best high school football and little baseball you'll ever see. It's the place where the overwhelming majority of men that I knew built life-long marriages.

I was in Central Tex when John Glenn orbited the earth, Neil Armstrong walked on the moon, congress finally acknowledged that all americans have the right to vote; JFK, Malcolm X, MLK and Bobby Kennedy were assassinated; and Mean Joe Green became the first H.S. player to declare his college of choice to the nation and did so on my stepfather's radio program (after spending time in our house). It's where I had my greatest athletic success.

Cut me and I bled Central Texas...

AND, I believe, as everyone should, that my region has the best BBQ in the world. I just happen to be right. Thus, CentralTexBBQ!!!

To Quote a 2013 Texas Monthly article:

OUR DEFINITIVE, SOOT-STAINED GUIDE TO THE BEST PURVEYORS OF SMOKED MEAT IN TEXAS, WHICH IS TO SAY, THE BEST PURVEYORS OF SMOKED MEAT ON EARTH.

Or a 1973 Texas Monthly article on BBQ:

The emphasis in Central Texas is overwhelmingly on the meat itself

So,  that describes my conviction and my approach. Good quality meat, ample simple rub, well managed fire, pecan or post oak smoke equals fantastic BBQ everytime

Edited by CentralTexBBQ

Wow, I'm getting to love this thread.  When @CentralTexBBQwent off about his conviction that Takesus BBQ is the best in the world I found my fingers inching toward the handle of my Bowie knife.  And @KismetKamadohandily explained how they keep the kids quiet in the back seat on those long drives back home in Wyoming.  Family friendly beer pong games for the kids!  That'll do the trick.  Isn't this a great country?  Don't ask me what we do in California.  I don't wanna talk about it.

Have used many online names...i switched just after joining recently to this one as I grew up in Wisconsin and still have family and ties there...but have been in Tennessee for quite some time.  Nothing too fancy.

Early in my marriage (age 24ish), I lived fishing and a slightly older friend owned a bait and tackle.  He always would walk up on me in the store aisle, scruff up my hair and say “How’s it hanging, JeffieBoy?”  I have used that ever since as an identifier and BTW the pixelated image looks a lot like me today, sans hair.  Now get off my lawn!