Campa

new member from Italy

Posted (edited)

Hi i just started with my new Kamado last saturday. My first BBQ device in my life.

Saturday and yesterday I coocked: salmon, carrots, zucchini, onions, hamburger , bread and a Crostata. I'm really happy about results.  

I always used indirect way.

Can someone suggest me a web page / blog post, or a manual to learn how to better maneuver the chimney and the low air intake, to control the temperature?

I'm also interested in learning how to immediately stop the fire to preserve charcoal. I'm thinking of blowing CO2 inside ...

Thanks

Stefano

Edited by Campa
adding info and link

3 hours ago, Campa said:

I'm also interested in learning how to immediately stop the fire to preserve charcoal. I'm thinking of blowing CO2 inside ..

I really don't recommend you try that. (I expect you would just blow hot embers all over the place)  Your Monolith will shut down completely if you just close the vents tightly. The first few times you shut the vents it will take a number of hours before your grill is completely cool. Because the mass of the ceramic components in you grill hold heat. As you build up some gunk on your vents by cooking, the time will shorten as your grill becomes more and more sealed. I shut my grill down after an evening cook, and don't really mess with it until the next morning. One  important thing about saftey, once you shut the vents you will start to starve your fire of oxygen, if you rapidly open the lid as your fire is being extinguished, the rush of oxygen could cause it to flash up which could easily burn you and throw burning embers around your cook spot. If you absolutely need to open your kamado after you have started shutting it down, you will need to open the lid only an inch while keeping a firm grip. Hold the lid there while you count to 60. I do this twice before I fully open my lid. The technique is called Burping. Happy cooking. 

Benvenuti nel nostro nuovo amico in un angolo più bello del mondo. Tanti fantastici cuochi sul tuo kamado e assicurati di inviarci foto!  (Google Translate). Da un canadese amichevole

40 minutes ago, JeffieBoy said:

Benvenuti nel nostro nuovo amico in un angolo più bello del mondo. Tanti fantastici cuochi sul tuo kamado e assicurati di inviarci foto!  (Google Translate). Da un canadese amichevole

Show off. 

Welcome to the forum.  Watching John Seltzer's videos about the Kamado Joe will give you a good grounding on just about any Kamado.

On 6/1/2020 at 9:19 PM, keeperovdeflame said:

I really don't recommend you try that. (I expect you would just blow hot embers all over the place)  Your Monolith will shut down completely if you just close the vents tightly. The first few times you shut the vents it will take a number of hours before your grill is completely cool. Because the mass of the ceramic components in you grill hold heat. As you build up some gunk on your vents by cooking, the time will shorten as your grill becomes more and more sealed. I shut my grill down after an evening cook, and don't really mess with it until the next morning. One  important thing about saftey, once you shut the vents you will start to starve your fire of oxygen, if you rapidly open the lid as your fire is being extinguished, the rush of oxygen could cause it to flash up which could easily burn you and throw burning embers around your cook spot. If you absolutely need to open your kamado after you have started shutting it down, you will need to open the lid only an inch while keeping a firm grip. Hold the lid there while you count to 60. I do this twice before I fully open my lid. The technique is called Burping. Happy cooking. 

Thank you, for the explanation. I was aware about this danger, but you explained really well how to managed that effect. I'm trying figured out to find a way to shutdown the fire because I need to move the kamado into the garage in the night. So I cannot cooking in the evening/dinner because I do not like having the kamado in the garage, if the fire is not completely extinguished.

I'm only thinking about co2, as an idea. The co2 is weightier than the air, so I'm thinking that also pouring slowly the co2 would have some possibility to work without  blow hot embers all over the place. The idea is about pouring from the smoker hole (it is exaclty over charcoal ) keeping the top chimer open to give the air a way to exit pushed by the co2.... 

This only an idea. 

Bye.

On 6/2/2020 at 4:01 AM, In2Fish said:

Welcome to the forum

tell use more about your crostata pie/tart.  any recipe or photos?

Hi in2Fish ,  Sorry, the only photo I have is about my wife when was rolling the dough in the saucepan/pot .

This recipe (sorry it is in italian) is similar as the recipe that use my wife, we like Crostata with thin, crunchy and crumbly dough .

Sometime we cook only the dough and after we break it creating irregular delicious biscuits.

Bye Stefano

IMG_20200602_145657468.png

On 6/2/2020 at 4:48 AM, daninpd said:

Show off. 

Welcome to the forum.  Watching John Seltzer's videos about the Kamado Joe will give you a good grounding on just about any Kamado.

Thank you Danipod, Sure I'll search and see that videos. I need to practice and to better understand how thing works.  
For example an effect that I surprisingly see is that if I close the top  chimery immediately the temperature rise up for a while.  If I wait, without air flow, the temperature go down as expected. This effect, I my opinion, happen because the top chimery also permit the hot to go out and the fire need some time to start starving air...  

It is all about inertia / delay also in this case.

Sorry for my bad English/American

On 6/1/2020 at 10:48 PM, daninpd said:

Show off. 

Isolated, bored show off.  Corrected that for you.