Sign in to follow this  
MachoVato

2 Zone Layout Survey

I have always used the Left/Right layout for my 2 zone cooking on my Kettles. But on the Kamado, the grill is a little low and it gets real hot in that setup. So I've started cooking with the Top/Bottom layout. It seems to work better for me. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

What's your preference?

2zone-preference.png

I go top to bottom. It just makes sense to me, as I am standing in front of the grill. I guess I'm just top to bottom brained.

I believe there is a consensus that kamados burn hotter in the back than the front, but that might be an old wife's tail. 

Left/Right. Prefer not exposing my hand and half my forearm over 600+ degree coals to finish a steak after searing. 

Left/Right here, but I just like the symmetry of it. I never tried the other way. I do alternate which is the direct / indirect side though, only to wear the thing evenly. 

-Andrew

Since getting my kamado 2 years ago I'd always doubted the effectiveness of trying to do a 2 zone cook in such a small area with good insulation, compared to a Weber kettle for example. 

However,I've just bitten the bullet and received a d&c system today, so I'll give it a try. I've set up left and right because that's how I used to do it on my Weber, but my kamado definitely burns hotter at the back. Maybe I'll try top and bottom later. 

On 6/1/2020 at 2:45 PM, PinotChio said:

Left/Right. Prefer not exposing my hand and half my forearm over 600+ degree coals to finish a steak after searing. 

I agree. I feel like that arrangement has you reaching over the coals more.