When I found out we would be under stage 2 fire restrictions, starting Wed morning, I immediately fired up my Egg with a family favorite spatchcocked chicken cook. I also planned to play with my new Traeger and cook my first brisket,  just before the restrictions come into effect. I preped the 13.5 lb brisket before hand, and setup my timberline 850 for the cook. I woke up at 2:15am last night, and was back in bed by 3:00am. Woke up this morning, as the sun was coming up to an absolutely wonderful smokey aroma. Like Philpom said, I could smell the wood smoke and nice spicy aroma from the cracked black pepper corns. 

IMG_1348.thumb.jpeg.8e5232941bebe525c18e23f825c01c49.jpeg

Following, supposedly a killer Texas brisket recipe from Meat Church and Traeger. Straight coarse kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper, in a 50 / 50 ratio with some flaked dried garlic. At 275f to an IT of 165, then wrapped in pink  butcher paper and 275f to a pulling temp of 205f. I watched a video of the cook and the chef pinched the brisket and juice just came running out. Hope for a similar result. 

This was taken after I wrapped it. Figure probably 4 to 5 hours more. Really smells great. 

IMG_1349.thumb.jpeg.77a9f4cea264e5f13ea0ac1359f4eb92.jpeg

From 170F, I see about 10F per hour, wrapped.  I'm also a little lower temp, so you may see 15F/hr.

Frank

Yum, brisket!  It should go pretty fast at 275°f.  I did mine yesterday at 250°f, it was 13 pounds before I trimmed it and it was ready in about 8 hours.  I don't spend time wrapping or any of that.  

Can't wait to see it, hope it's juicy.

Well being my first brisket not much of my own to compare it to. But I must say it was truly delicious. Can't say it was a good as what I had in Austin at Franklins, but at the same time it was pretty darn close. Both the flat and point were way juicy and delicious. Any fat that clung to meat just pulled right away. Flavor was truly amazing. My wife asked be if had it flown in from Austin.  Just the tip of the flat was a bit hard and crusty and not as tender as the rest. other than that, I am very satisfied. I finished right when I thought I would at 3:30 in the afternoon. I used pink butcher paper and it kept the bark in tact during that part of the cook.

IMG_1350.thumb.jpeg.d3517ae99636513ab682afa4dc758572.jpeg

IMG_1353.thumb.jpeg.8b1ca8aab6ea624f3d1b99c9805dfcaa.jpeg

Tip of the flat

IMG_1351.thumb.jpeg.0dd1090309060cd394be50ef9692f3f2.jpeg

That sounds like it was a perfect cook and end result to me. Hopefully you can freeze a bit to enjoy occasionally over the summer while you’re under the restrictions. I was hoping you could use the Timberline there during fire season, but seems that is not the case?  

12 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

... Just the tip of the flat was a bit hard and crusty and not as tender as the rest. ...

Thus the term "burnt ends." My grown son calls them "meat pops." 

I bet you'll do this again....

Stay well,

Frank

6 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

That sounds like it was a perfect cook and end result to me. Hopefully you can freeze a bit to enjoy occasionally over the summer while you’re under the restrictions. I was hoping you could use the Timberline there during fire season, but seems that is not the case?  

I invited the fire inspector over to look at the Traeger and see how it works. He was pretty convinced it was a semi  sealed environment. The issue, however, is that it produces ash. Even though I can turn off the heating element, and the power to the auger that feeds the pellets,  a fire in the fire box will continue to burn all the pellets in the fire box at the time. They want you to be able to shut off all flame with the flip of a knob or switch. Not what I would order off the menu, but I understand completely. I have a fire safe space around my house that extends about 40 feet out into the property. However, all the native trees, bushes, and grass beyond that  are super dry. Actually looks like we may have a monsoon storm building today, but it is probably just a build up of clouds and we won't get much precipitation until probably around the 4th of July when the monsoon storm traditionally hit us. The problem with the clouds but no rain is that we usually get dry  lightning, which is not a good thing when the forrest and chaparral is so dry. I can get pretty creative with the gasser, so we won't starve.