Sign in to follow this  
NickM

Over the top chili, or a great way to possibly ruin your wife's le creuset dutch oven

Decided to make some over the top chili. It came out great, however the smoke did a number to our dutch oven. My wife is not too happy. All the videos kept showing the cooks using an enameled cast iron dutch oven and their's looked nothing like how mine turned out. Lesson learned, I need to get a cheap one from Lidl or something similar. Anyways, besides scrubbing for hours, any tips to get the stains off without harming the enamel? 

Much appreciated!

IMG_8692.jpeg

I really like your method with the drippings going into the chili.  What brand is your Dutch Oven?  I  have smoked the outside of my 40 year old yellow le Creuset to a dark brown and just sprayed it (cool) with oven cleaner and it cleaned up fine.  I don't know what the experts and manufacturer say, but that worked for me.  It was based on the fact that the inside of my range oven is enamel coated and that's what I use annually (well every 3 years).

Yellow Cap Easy Off is fine.  Just rinse well.

I have used a magic eraser on mine, but worry slightly about the abrasive factor and long term impact.  I feel like my earlier cooks cleaned up easier than my latter ones, and thought abrading of the finish might be part of that (pure speculation on my part).  

I have used my Le Creuset on my grills numerous times, but bought some budget pieces to use moving forward. 

- I have made that "walk of shame" myself in about 2001 or 02. Ears are still ringing from that one. Can't remember what I was making but the resultant was a mess. My wife did get it cleaned off with Breakup Oven and Grill Cleaner.

- I also took a second "walk of shame" with a deep dish Corning Ware thingie. You would have thought I would have learned my lesson. Not!! That miscue also cleaned up and resulted in me being banned from using anything kitchen cookware related.

- My wife who I like to think figured out the error of her ways found some items at the church's "grandma's attic" that have been green lighted for outdoor cooks.

On 6/2/2020 at 10:26 PM, daninpd said:

I really like your method with the drippings going into the chili.  What brand is your Dutch Oven?  I  have smoked the outside of my 40 year old yellow le Creuset to a dark brown and just sprayed it (cool) with oven cleaner and it cleaned up fine.  I don't know what the experts and manufacturer say, but that worked for me.  It was based on the fact that the inside of my range oven is enamel coated and that's what I use annually (well every 3 years).

The dutch oven is le creuset. We bought some "gentler" oven cleaner. The wife loved the chili, but I'm not longer allowed to use anything le creuset on the grill. I'll invest in a cheaper or used dutch oven at some point because the chili really was the best either of us have ever made. 

@NickM finally another person joining me in the penalty box. The Le Cruset piece I violated was blue in color. Bet that yellow one really looked worse than my disaster.

On the lighter side I am glad you got it cleaned up.

And then another side to the story:

I use an enameled brazer for cooks like lamb shanks and such. The brazier is actually one of my favorite pieces of gear. However, it started off it's working life in the kitchen, owned by my wife; clean, shiny, pretty, fancy,  and nicely matching some other accent pieces that lived around it. Then on one  fateful afternoon the Brazier met Dad,  lamb shanks,   and Dad's kamado.  Mom was none too happy, but recovered slightly  when I bought he new shiny new enameled pan as a surprise, ( not really like a surprise gift , but more like bringing home a bunch of roses after you screwed up), and of course the new pan was in the appropriate color to match the other kitchen dwellers .   Now years later, and actually two generations down the road, as previous pans experienced some cracking in  the enamel, the brazier now  lives in the garage and works on the kamado and other grills kinda a working mans piece of fancy cookware. I only clean the inside, and the outside which started it's life as red is now kind of a cloudy rusty brownish purple. The moral to the story: Get Momma a new shiny pan and you won't have to worry about cleaning  the smoke off the old one. 

IMG_1229.thumb.jpeg.f7b364d69101e647edf635e3f9246997.jpeg

Please let us know if you were able to rescue the DO. Mommy has said I may use hers but she doesn't know the risks. She may not care because she generally shuns cast iron because it's too heavy for her. I love it! 

4 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Get Momma a new shiny pan and you won't have to worry about cleaning  the smoke off the old one. 

IMG_1229.thumb.jpeg.f7b364d69101e647edf635e3f9246997.jpeg

And it's keeperovdeflame for the win! 

On 6/3/2020 at 12:28 AM, KismetKamado said:

I have used a magic eraser on mine, but worry slightly about the abrasive factor and long term impact. ...

I don't think there's anything to worry about. 

I use clear Corningware in the grill all the time. Magic Eraser cleans it very easily, and the glass remains clear. Your ceramic-coated cast iron has the same sort of surface; it's harder than the Eraser, which is harder than the dirt. Just clean "easily." I bet you could hurt the pan if you tried... you have to know when you're scrubbing a stain. 

Or use Lodge pans and you won't feel so bad if one's ruined. 

Stay well,

Frank

Before putting it to the fire, lightly coat the OUTSIDE of the pot with dawn.  When its time to clean, all the soot will wash off with ease.  DO NOT do this on traditional cast iron for obvious reasons.  Only on enamel or traditional stainless steel or aluminum pots.  It also works for cooking over an open camp fire.

You all have it all wrong. At this point my grill shelves have way more ceramic/enamel pans then the kitchen. We borrow from the grill shelves when we cook in the kitchen. 

A while ago I posted a picture of all my ceramic grill pans. I thought it was an impressive picture. At this point I have a bit more. Even have a fancy ceramic ciabatta bread dish on order, can't wait to try it out. I might let it be used in the kitchen oven every once in a while - LOL 

Anyways, besides scrubbing for hours, any tips to get the stains off without harming the enamel? 

Just takes minutes to clean pot

Buy you some Magic Erasers

They are Magic. You will make your Wife a Happy Wife