Stuck Top Vent

pmillen

image.png.97d4a1e668fbf2a8e97e32e708de6ade.png

My top vent froze from hardened grease (I guess).  I soaked it in very hot water with dish soap that's famous as a grease cutter.  It reluctantly loosened so I could scrub it vigorously with a stiff brush.  The groove that the slider seats in was full of thick "gunk."  It works a bit better now, but I'm certain that it will soon be stuck again.

What should I have done to clean it thoroughly?

What should I do to prevent a reoccurrence?

Does anyone else think that it's a dumb design?

Is the old style top vent available as a replacement part?

Unfortunately, gunk is a by-product of charcoal cooking.  I have the old style "daisy wheel" for both of my cookers and it happens there too.  I just scrape out the gunk occasionally and forge ahead.  When it gets really bad, I remove the name plate and throw it in the fire for about an hour at 500 degrees then scrape it off and in the dishwasher it goes.  Wipe it down and paint it again with hi-temp paint and it looks like brand new.  Good luck

I got a replacement from KJ due to paint peeling off (replacement one did the same thing) so when one starts to stick i replace it with the spare and soak the gunky one overnight i in soapy water i think i use brewers friend. The powder coat? might start to peel so i hit it with 80 grit sand paper to remove any loose coating. One thing i do is when it's cooled off before i put cover on, i open the vent about 1;2 to 3/4 inch if it does stick it;s opened enough so you can get a fire lit and it will heat the grease and free it, this way you don't have to tap it to open it. This is a big help for me in the winter here. 

As much as I liked the new Kontrol Tower I gave up on them, They defiantly took more time and effort to keep them clean and workable, Like John said once all the coating peeled off it was a little easier, however I tossed mine and went with the Smokeware cap which isnt perfect either but much easier to clean

• 2 weeks later...

On my Kontrol Tower, the paint is peeling off as well. I contacted Kamado, but have yet to hear back from them. How would I go about removing all the paint from the inside, so it doesn't flake down into my food. I did get the Smokeware cap, but would like to keep the original, just in case..

Haven't used my Joe yet, but had the same "issue" with the Akorn vent. I spray it down with Simple Green and let it soak overnight, usually the night before a cook. Then work it free and wash it out with hot water before putting it back on the lid while the coals fire up to dry out. 

Even the simple metal cover would stick on my side-box stye smoker. Come to think of it, same on my Weber kettle and other grills with adjustable vents.

As stated, it's just the nature of the beast.

hehe.. (re: Burnt Hills Ny) - we have a place called Burnt Mountain nearby, beautiful motorcycle road. I always thought I should move there, given my propensity for smoking. I've even checked on my ribs remotely from a scenic observation spot up there!

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 10:43 AM, eflyguy said:

hehe.. (re: Burnt Hills Ny) - we have a place called Burnt Mountain nearby, beautiful motorcycle road. I always thought I should move there, given my propensity for smoking. I've even checked on my ribs remotely from a scenic observation spot up there!

Good  country roads up here in Burnt Hills for motorcycling!!!

I see your from Atlanta my uncle has a house on Lake Lanier in Flowery Branch, I am really going to miss not coming down there on vacation this year.