How often is fire bowl replacement needed?

All:

Quick question.  I've already replaced my fire bowl once (about 3 years ago) and noticed that it had a positive effect on hot spots.  I'm noticing that my current fire bowl is deformed at the bottom where the fire grate sits.  Not enough that the grate falls through, but the curve in the metal is very easy to see.  I'm just curious how often you all are seeing a need to replace the bowl and how important it is to clean them?

Thanks

I have had my Akorn for 7 years  and have never had a need to replace the firebox. The grate gets flipped when it begins to warp from the heat. I do any annual cleaning on all my cookers but other than that it is just the standard process of stirring the leftover charcoal from the previous cook before adding more. That is about it.  I do keep my grill covered and under the patio roof.

What caused the need for replacement? Warping? Rust? 

BTW - Welcome to KG!

41 minutes ago, levic900rr said:

I keep my grills inside and I'm hoping to never have to replace the firebox! :)  I told myself if the Akorn ever rusts out I am going to get a KJ

Understood, but replacing the firebox is real easy (just lift out the old and drop in the new).  The outside of my Akorn is in pretty good condition, the inside not so much.

For a harder job, try cleaning the grease off the the damper hood!  And after grilling this weekend, I see that I need to replace the hood seal.  Luckily, CharGriller has just about any part that you would need to do your own repairs.

I leave mine outside under the roof. it gets wet at times. I also do pizza and run it hot at times but never find the need to replace firebox. what i found is the ash pan may catch water/grease at the bottom. I also had one time a big fire (cooking duck over a pellet fire and rotisserie...) and the heat melted the paint around the lower vent. I'd periodically check the ash pan see if any deposits at the bottom. Ash traps moisture and may rust through from inside. I think it'd be a good idea to add a drain plug at the bottom if you store it outside.

• 2 weeks later...

I will have to agree with Daz on this one. My ash pan had accumulated water/grease which I was unaware of, and wow!, Ash pan fire which resulted in a major overhaul. See "Accidentally Went Nuclear". I am now a regular maintenance guy on all my ash pans. A simple 10 to 15 minute inspection on your gear will save you HOURS and DOLLARS in repair and replacement.

"There is never enough time time to do things right the first time, but there is always enough time to do it over".