Ripped gasket on new Classic II

AJS390

Hi all,

I have a quick question for you about my new Classic II that I picked up a couple of days ago.  The store had it shipped in, so I picked it up right as they unloaded it off the truck.  Everything looked pristine, packaging and grill exterior.  But as I was putting it all together, I noticed that the gasket on the top lid has a hole in it (photo attached).  I didn't measure, but I would guess that it's about 2" long.  It's on the inside edge of the gasket and doesn't go all the way through, but still makes me nervous.  I contacted Kamado Joe about getting a new gasket sent to me, but have not heard back.  As I said, everything else is in perfect condition, so I have to assume the gasket was installed this way.20200608_180227.thumb.jpg.012fc306ad94d476b16d335268e3b137.jpg

My question is, do you think I should replace this gasket right away once I get a new one?  I am brand new to this, so I can't imagine I can put a new one on nearly as well as the original.  As best as I can tell, it doesn't leak any air right now, but I haven't had a lot of opportunity or experience to observe it to be sure.  Or would installing a new gasket now while the grill is clean be the smart way to go about it?  Although there's no guarantee I'll receive a replacement quickly from what I saw with others claims.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I'm leaning towards just letting it ride as is as long as it doesn't appear to be causing any issues, but I'm sure there's others who would have a lot more experience that would know better than me.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Adam

20200608_182556.jpg

@AJS390

I would get started cooking and not worry about replacing it until you find a need to replace it.  The gaskets are gonna come loose at some point.  Most of them do.  The adhesive they put them on with is not very durable.  When they DO come loose I recommend pulling them off, cleaning the surface underneath them with acetone (don't worry about getting it really clean) and then re-attach the gaskets with a very small bead of Permatex Copper that you can grab at your local auto parts store.  Those gaskets will likely never come loose again on their own.  I have reattached gaskets on both of mine with this and they haven't given me any issues since then.

Thanks for the fast reply!  It's reassuring to get confirmation from somebody else who obviously knows what they are talking about.

I fired it up tonight and made some quick BBQ jerk chicken.  Didn't have a lot of time, but it turned out wonderful just the same.  I can't wait to really put this grill to use!

20200610_185933.jpg

20200610_190504.jpg

Guess I should have scrolled down before I posted about mine with the same issue yesterday.  Glad to see the advice you received.  I will fire mine up this weekend!

Admins- you can remove my duplicate post if you wish.  

Jon

Nice looking chicken. Welcome to the forum. Sorry about the gasket, but these grills are made by people. My experience with KJ the warranty has been really positive. Check out John's Kamado book in the Kamado cooking forum 

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, garange said:

I had the same issue and they sent me another gasket within a week. I think I’ll ride it out and go ahead and use the grill and change when needed. 

It's been just over 2 years since I got my grill, and I still haven't replaced the ripped gaskets.  They work fine, no issues at all.  I do have the replacements KJ sent me ready and waiting though.

• 2 weeks later...

The same here. My Big Joe II arrived with a similar tear in the exact same spot. KJ shipped a new gasket to me within a week.....It's still in the bag in the garage somewhere. I'll fit it when the original gasket finally dies.

Dont sweat over that tear... mine has done a load of cooking over the last 8 months with zero issues.

I thought of this thread when I was preparing my Big Joe for a cook on Sunday afternoon, and took a couple pics of my gasket. I'm still cooking with the same felt gasket --or more precisely, what's left of it-- that came on it when I bought it in 2016. A couple times a year I think to myself that I need to order a new one, but then I cook something again and the grill still works like a champ, so I never quite get around to replacing it.

gasket_left.jpeg.c4ca2b864eb4af260afa6ed8e1209949.jpeg

gasket_right.jpeg.4cca4d78d506dbd77fa192019d348a5b.jpeg

17 hours ago, Brick Pig said:

I thought of this thread when I was preparing my Big Joe for a cook on Sunday afternoon, and took a couple pics of my gasket. I'm still cooking with the same felt gasket --or more precisely, what's left of it-- that came on it when I bought it in 2016. A couple times a year I think to myself that I need to order a new one, but then I cook something again and the grill still works like a champ, so I never quite get around to replacing it.

gasket_left.jpeg.c4ca2b864eb4af260afa6ed8e1209949.jpeg

gasket_right.jpeg.4cca4d78d506dbd77fa192019d348a5b.jpeg

That's more gasket than I have on my KJC of the same age. Looks like you also have the original firebox.

6 hours ago, Golf Griller said:

That's more gasket than I have on my KJC of the same age. Looks like you also have the original firebox.

Yes, and the firebox has multiple cracks in it, as well. You can see the most obvious ones in the photos, but there are others. I've had one of the new multi-piece fireboxes in my garage for at least 4 years waiting for the day this original one falls apart, but so far, so good. When I moved 4 years ago I was convinced the firebox wouldn't make it. Shows what I know.