New Kamado Joe Gasket damage

SndGuyJon

Hello all!

I received my KJCII today before I left for work.  It was a long day at work anticipating unboxing and assembly.  When I opened the lid, I immediately noticed that the gasket appeared to be damaged.  When I looked closer,  I could see rub marks from the Divide and conquer system on the lip of the body right near the damage.  I have already reached out to Kamado Joe's Customer service, but they said it could take 5 business days before I hear back.  

If you were me, would you use the grill?  I finished assembly figuring returning the item would be a huge hassle without a truck and forklift, knowing it was a customer serviceable part, and I have heard KJ takes care of their customers, or would you wait to hear back from service about a replacement?  I would really like to fire it up this weekend and try a few things out, but I don't want to eat the cost of a $90 gasket.  

Other than some smoke leakage and possibly a bit more difficult time controlling temp, anything else I should be worried about if I do fire it up?

Jon

Gasket.jpg

If it were my cooker, I would put in the claim and cook with it. When the replacement comes in, switch it out.

I wouldn't think you will notice much, if any difference, cooking with the torn gasket as the tear is on the inside and should not impact the gasket seal when the lid is closed.

Good luck and welcome to KG.

I received my BJ2 Monday and unfortunately this is what I got.  There is also chips on the back down at the bottom.  The packaging was in pristine condition.  I opened a case with KJ but they haven’t responded yet.  I talked with the company it was purchased from and they emailed KJ for me.  I was advised not to cook on it until they respond.  Bummer.

EC9AB220-EFFF-4A9F-B0AE-B9BE831B4232.jpeg

70AA85FB-BB89-4282-B178-AB7BD4FD4054.jpeg

My post was in no way a slam on KJ....I was just elaborating on my disappointment that I can’t use my Fathers Day present....I am still ecstatic that I finally have a quality kamodo....like a child on Christmas Day without any batteries.

They responded to me yesterday that they will ship a new gasket to me when they are back in stock, but I could use the grill until then.  That is good since I am five cooks in at this point. 

I know they are having some availability issues right now as most manufacturers are, so I don't expect it for a while.  The grill is working fine with the current gasket.  The grill has been working fine, the operator, on the other hand, has a lot to learn!

Jon

KJ says Ill get the gasket within a week but the base is on backorder.  Im trying to find out if I have to take all the parts off the damaged base to reinstall on the new base.  I assume I will have to.  Im not very happy about that for many reasons.