Spam musubi

Challenge cook! 

So my family was really looking forward to all getting together in Hawaii this year.  Not only my personal family, but my parents, my sister her husband and baby, two sets of cousins with their families, my aunt and uncle and my grandmother, who are all spread out throughout the country. Covid 19 canceled those plans, and seeing the challenge cook immediately brought spam musubi to mind.  Not only is everything completely shelf stable, but it paid homage to the family time missed.  I actually don't think I have ever had spam in any other application, but this one is really, really good. Also, I couldn't quite get all ingredients that I was desiring due to covid supply related issues, but, hey, that just makes it fit better with the theme, right? 

Started with the ingredients for sushi rice..... Missing the rice vinegar, so I subbed apple Cider vinegar since it is similarly acidic.... It definitely worked. IMG_20200610_173512982.thumb.jpg.ee1b13acbd01ff2a4e10b14826de4c28.jpg

That was done in the instant pot, so no pictures about that.  Then for the main event.  The spam and the delicious glaze. IMG_20200610_173634291.thumb.jpg.a694620627842e68803b50e16ca0c712.jpg

Also tiny pieces of nori were available instead of the big sheets..... So I had to improvise. Sliced up the spam and got it on the griddle. Let it get a bit of color. But nothing too crazy. IMG_20200610_180404413.thumb.jpg.828b3bf5110ae0dd1e2461de86d87fbe.jpg

Then it's time for that glaze.  Coat, turn, and cook until it looks scrumptious. IMG_20200610_180953194.thumb.jpg.b4c0d35a45187a138751388e3a08b7a0.jpg

Then it's time for layering.  To do properly you need a musubi press. IMG_20200610_181414045.thumb.jpg.84b923f16895ddf2a457a41f73034892.jpg

I was a little worried at this point because normally the nori wraps all the way around.  I was worried this wouldn't have the structural integrity to be able to be eaten out of hand.  It was more like a musubi sandwich kinda deal.  Layer in the rice, then the spamIMG_20200610_181524497.thumb.jpg.56f1fea9baf1ab39d3e346dcf1c1da08.jpg

You can do one layer of rice followed by spam, then the nori or you can do two.  I did some of each.  Here is what a two layer of rice musubi looks like. IMG_20200610_181656884.thumb.jpg.c53ded8bf307f0e454fbcc83fbf2968b.jpg

I just realized the picture was before I cut it.  Oops.  Still so delicious.  So easy.  So satisfying. 

I have never heard of spam musubi. That actually looks very tasty!

I bought several varieties of canned meat in back in Jan/Feb. Canned chicken breast, canned tuna, canned hamburger (!) but no spam. Mainly because we don't normally eat spam, so I was trying to buy things that, if my anticipated meat shortages did not occur, we would still eat what I bought. I used to eat spam back in my scouting days, I remember it being pretty good on a cracker.

You've made it look like something I might make just whenever :)

The ABC store by the place we stay at in Maui makes Spam musubi fresh daily.  Your pics made me want it so bad I made reservations to go this October.  I hope the mandatory 14 day quarantine is lifted by then,  otherwise I will be eating Spam musubi for 14 days! :)

Spam is so versatile. When the wife is gone i've been known to bbq some on the grill with Bone Sucking sauce. It's just too bad they no longer put the "mystery goo" in it they found they can sell it. Grew up on this stuff. Your's is another good use. What is the recipe for the glaze? 

Great looking cook.  I've never had spam musubi before,  definitely something I need to try.   I made Thankgiving turkey (cooked) sushi a few years back,  the idea of spam musubi has me craving it.    Nice job!

On 6/11/2020 at 4:35 PM, O C said:

I have never heard of spam musubi. That actually looks very tasty!

I bought several varieties of canned meat in back in Jan/Feb. Canned chicken breast, canned tuna, canned hamburger (!) but no spam. Mainly because we don't normally eat spam, so I was trying to buy things that, if my anticipated meat shortages did not occur, we would still eat what I bought. I used to eat spam back in my scouting days, I remember it being pretty good on a cracker.

You've made it look like something I might make just whenever :)

It is really good.  I end up making it a couple of times a year because it just reminds me of Hawaii.  Totally unhealthy though lol. 

On 6/12/2020 at 6:50 AM, chaluk said:

The ABC store by the place we stay at in Maui makes Spam musubi fresh daily.  Your pics made me want it so bad I made reservations to go this October.  I hope the mandatory 14 day quarantine is lifted by then,  otherwise I will be eating Spam musubi for 14 days! :)

I have spent many hours in ABC stores!  I don't think I have ever bought a spam musubi from one.  Glad I could inspire a trip!  Have you ever gotten mauna pua ( I think that is how it is spelled) from a gas station?  That's another favorite. 

On 6/12/2020 at 10:18 AM, len440 said:

Spam is so versatile. When the wife is gone i've been known to bbq some on the grill with Bone Sucking sauce. It's just too bad they no longer put the "mystery goo" in it they found they can sell it. Grew up on this stuff. Your's is another good use. What is the recipe for the glaze? 

I'll have to try something else with it!  And the glaze is just soy sauce, mirin, and sugar.  

On 6/13/2020 at 6:35 PM, In2Fish said:

Great looking cook.  I've never had spam musubi before,  definitely something I need to try.   I made Thankgiving turkey (cooked) sushi a few years back,  the idea of spam musubi has me craving it.    Nice job!

I'd highly recommend trying it.... Although I could see turkey being good in this, it's nice how assertive the spam is lol. 

16 hours ago, shuley said:

I have spent many hours in ABC stores!  I don't think I have ever bought a spam musubi from one.  Glad I could inspire a trip!  Have you ever gotten mauna pua ( I think that is how it is spelled) from a gas station?  That's another favorite. 

Not from a gas station, but from the food trucks down the street from Costco.  Delish!