Vision Grills - Large Heat Deflector Stone

Hello Everyone,

I’ve been have a really hard time locating a Large version of the VG heat deflector online. The small one seems to be easier to find. Does anyone have any suggestions for alternative stones that will fit my HD series grill? Thanks!

I had the lava stone and it came with the bracket that sits the stone in the firebowl a little. It didn't take too long for the stone to break and I wanted a cheaper more durable replacement. I got this little cast iron booger from Academy. Used a hammer to knock the dadgum tabs off and it works great.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/outdoor-gourmet-14-in-preseasoned-round-griddle#repChildCatid=27890

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/12/2020 at 1:09 PM, DrunkenMeatFist said:

I had the lava stone and it came with the bracket that sits the stone in the firebowl a little. It didn't take too long for the stone to break and I wanted a cheaper more durable replacement. I got this little cast iron booger from Academy. Used a hammer to knock the dadgum tabs off and it works great.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/outdoor-gourmet-14-in-preseasoned-round-griddle#repChildCatid=27890

Great suggestion, at the right price. Thanks for the suggestion!

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/13/2020 at 10:38 AM, cmospyder said:

The one at Academy is the one I've been using for a couple of years. I use the spider I bought from The Ceramic Grill Store to suspend it.

i have a Vision B Classic and wondering if this would be good to use as a deflector for smoking. Can you tell me which spider did you end up buying (Woo Spider?) 

thanks in advance 

On 7/30/2020 at 7:47 PM, rayzer70 said:

i have a Vision B Classic and wondering if this would be good to use as a deflector for smoking. Can you tell me which spider did you end up buying (Woo Spider?) 

thanks in advance 

Just bought the spider and the cast iron griddle makes a great deflector for smoking. The woo ring would be a bit more versatile but it is a tad more expensive. They both are stainless steel so they will last quite a while.

14 hours ago, cmospyder said:

Just bought the spider and the cast iron griddle makes a great deflector for smoking. The woo ring would be a bit more versatile but it is a tad more expensive. They both are stainless steel so they will last quite a while.

Thanks, I'll prob get the spider too. did you break off the handle of the cast iron ? 

On 8/3/2020 at 11:42 AM, rayzer70 said:

Thanks, I'll prob get the spider too. did you break off the handle of the cast iron ? 

I ground them off with a bench grinder and man was it a mess. I looked like I had been working in a coal mine. I should have scored them with a hacksaw and then broke them off.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/6/2020 at 8:54 PM, cmospyder said:

I ground them off with a bench grinder and man was it a mess. I looked like I had been working in a coal mine. I should have scored them with a hacksaw and then broke them off.

did you have to wrap the cast iron pan with foil ? and have you done a smoke and it held the temp correctly?  thanks

On 8/25/2020 at 7:09 PM, rayzer70 said:

did you have to wrap the cast iron pan with foil ? and have you done a smoke and it held the temp correctly?  thanks

You can wrap it with foil if you are going to use it for a griddle on later cooks. It will make the clean up easier. 

As far as smoking,  it does hold temps well. I just don't put anything on until it has had heated up for 45 minutes or so to make sure it heat soaked. Seems to make it more stable. I have done an 18 hour cook/smoke and it works good for me.