First burger cook - Monolith

Today was burgers. First of all I screwed up. Went to buy stuff and forgot that my local butcher is closed on Mondays. So I had to "make do" with some rump steak, some sirloin and some ribeye from the store. Normally I use chuck/brisket/skirt steak depending on what it looks like and how I am feeling that day.

Anyway, I ground up the meat (single pass, 1/4" disk, everything chilled in the furze first) and loosely formed 6oz burgers. 100% beef - nothing else at all. I'm a purist with burgers!

IMG_3844-XL.jpg

IMG_3845-XL.jpg

Then I grilled them direct on the Monolith, 420C, 4 minutes per side, flipped 'em, then added cheese slices and gave them another minute.

IMG_3847_heic-XL.jpg

IMG_3851_heic-XL.jpg

They came out pretty good. Not best ever, but certainly very nice and juicy. Next time, I think a little hotter/faster and/or closer to the coals. Maybe 450F for 3 minutes a side on the lowest rack setting. Buns were toasted, even if that one doesn't look it. The kids got the best ones!

It was your first time doing burgers on the grill, probably shouldn't be too hard on yourself. Takes a while to get used to cooking on a new grill. They look great to me though.

Do you have some sort of machine that gets them to all look like that? I do mine by hand and they are always circular but not the exact same shape like yours.

6 hours ago, gordo2212 said:

It was your first time doing burgers on the grill, probably shouldn't be too hard on yourself. Takes a while to get used to cooking on a new grill. They look great to me though.

Do you have some sort of machine that gets them to all look like that? I do mine by hand and they are always circular but not the exact same shape like yours.

Not a machine per se - just a metal ring. I just put that on a scale, measure the right amount of ground beef by weight and them squeeze it down a bit by hand then remove the ring.

Looks good...my first cook this week will be burgers (followed the next night by pork chops...just sliced up some thick chops for a pork loin).  The divide and conquer on the KJ will be nice as my kids prefer less of a crisp sear to any meat and my wife and I love that crust on a burger.  So I will be cooking 2 closer to the heat for less time, 2 further from it but for a little bit more time.  

Though...Im not quite the one to be grinding my own meat at this point (id have to make room for another gadget)