Removing lid guidance (Big Joe)

eflyguy

Is there official info anywhere on how to remove the lid?

The manual I have warns against messing with the hinge or bands. I have searched and can't find specific info on how to do this, but I did come across threads where hinges have needed to be replaced, or simply referencing "removing the lid", so it must be possible.

I'm mechanically competent, but I'd rather ask the stupid question than do something to mess up my brand new Joe..

As I said, I did search first, and found references to it being done and talk of using ties, not using ties, "just lifting it out" after loosening band with lid open, etc., but no specific instructions that looked like they had come from/endorsed by the manufacturer. I found where they ("Kamado Joe" user?) said they would make a video, but it doesn't appear to exist. 

It depends on what version you have, If its BJII or III you just need to put on the spacer washer and nut to keep the hinge form opening, If its and older version you will need to tie wrap, Here is a video of John changeing the hinge of an older BigJoe, you could use this for help,

This is what you use to lock the hinge on the newer versions, no tie wrap are needed

Hinge bolt.png

1 hour ago, JaxxQ said:

Here is a video

Thank you! I already subscribed to their channel and looked thru but did not see this one! I think my Fire YT app filters stuff.

Edit - looks like "hinge replacement" was a better search term than "lid removal"..