Sign in to follow this  
John Setzler

The Best White Sandwich Bread

The Man Cave White Sandwich Bread is a perfect sandwich loaf.  This is easy to make and the rewards are definitely worth the work!  I am giving the ingredients for this loaf in metric weight AND standard volume measurements.  IT IS IN YOUR BEST INTEREST to use the metric weights for consistency.  Digital kitchen scales are cheap.  I have also included  some notes for enhancements and additions to this loaf...

Ingredients:

115g whole milk (1/2 cup)
165g water  (3/4 cup minus 1 1/2 tsp)
440g bread flour (3 1/4 cup)
21g sugar (2 tablespoons)
9g diamond crystal kosher salt (1 tablespoon)*
6g instant or active dry yeast (2 teaspoons)
45g unsalted butter, softened (3 tablespoons)

* If using standard table salt, use 2 teaspoons

Combine water, milk, and sugar in a small bowl and heat in the microwave gently to a temperature of about 100°F.  Pour in the yeast and let sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes until the yeast is nice and foamy.

Add the flour and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer and wisk together.  Start the mixer on a slow speed and add the liquid yeast mixture.  Mix until the dough has come together in a shaggy mass.  Add the butter and continue to mix until the butter is incorporated in the dough.  Let the dough hook continue to knead the dough for 10 minutes until you have a smooth dough ball that is pulling away cleanly from the sides of the mixing bowl. 

Remove the dough from the mixing bowl and shape it into a tight dough ball.  Place it in a greased bowl and cover with plastic.  Let rise for 60-90 minutes until at least doubled in size.  

Punch the dough down and turn it out onto a lightly greased working surface.  Shape it into a rectangle slightly narrower than the width of the bread pan.  Roll it up tightly, pinch the seam, and place seam side down into a greased 5x9 inch loaf pan.  Cover with a towel and let rise for an hour or so until the dough has risen about an inch over the top edge of the bread pan.  About 30 minutes into this rise, preheat your oven to 375°F.

If you would like to top the bread with anything, mist the top of the loaf lightly with water and add your toppings.  Place it in the oven for 30 minutes.  Remove from the oven, let cool for 15 minutes in the pan.  Remove from the pan and cool completely before slicing.

Notes:

I have experimented several times with some whole wheat flour in this loaf.  My favorite variation is to substitute about 20 grams of the bread flour with whole wheat flour.  The small addition of whole wheat flour give the bread a really nice earthy aroma without sacrificing any of the light and fluffy texture.  

I like topping mine as shown in the video with the Trader Joe's "Everything but the Bagel" seasoning blend.  Another good way to top this loaf is to just bake it naked and then brush on some melted butter that has had some garlic powder added.  I recommend melting about 3 tablespoons of butter and stirring in about 1/4 tsp garlic powder.  Brush that on top of the baked loaf while it's still hot.  

You can also turn this loaf into cinnamon-raisin bread quite easily.  When you spread the dough out into a rectangle as shown in the video, spread about 3 tablespoons of softened butter on the surface.  Top that with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar and then sprinkle on some raisins before you roll it up.  

This loaf of bread holds up very well.  I have kept it fresh for 4 or 5 days by keeping it in a plastic bag after it has cooled.  

Enjoy!