KJ Classic 2 Sloped Patio

I am waiting on my Kamado Joe Classic 2 package and would like to take advantage of the nest and side tables.  My only worry is the slight slope for drainage on my concrete patio.  Will the casters hold it in place?  Any one have a similar situation with experience?  Wondering if I need to build a prep table for the right side to keep it from rolling.  Thanks!

Patio.jpg

slant.jpg

The castors are very strong and should hold.  I currently have mine on a slight slope and have never had an issue but if your keeping it there permanently then I would just put a brick behind each of the back wheels.  Similar situation to if your parking a camper.

I have a grilling area made of concrete pavers that has settled some and slopes slightly so my Akorn no longer sits level. Rolling away is not a concern, but sometimes when I make pizza, depending on the cheese I use, it can slide to the downhill side and pile up some. It is not a big problem, and certainly not worth it to me to dig the stones up and lay them level as I am moving back to the States in August. So the main issue might be making sure that as juices, liquid, or molten cheese accumulate during a cook, you have something with sides high enough to contain them as they slide downhill inside your Joe.

Looking at the bubble in you level you have some serious drainage going on.  That being said, can you place a golf ball on the ground where you want to put your Joe without it rolling away?  If so, your Joe won't roll away either and the caster locks on it are strong.  Leveling for cooking probably won't be a big consideration, you will figure out pretty quickly where to put your drip pan, especially if smoking a big turkey.

On 6/17/2020 at 5:15 PM, tonydp said:

Just remember if you cook anything in liquid it won't be even.  When I do muscles I put scrap wood under mine to level it up

I cook on my driveway which is sloped and roll it back into the garage when I am finished and it is cool.

The casters are plenty strong, like Tony,  I shim mine to keep it level when braising or a more liquid cook.  My shim is a piece of 1x screwed to the edge of some scrap plywood.  With most of my cooks it isn't an issue.

Give it a shot and if it is beyond your comfort zone, then deal with it at that point.

Enjoy.

On 6/19/2020 at 9:01 PM, len440 said:

maybe you could put wood shims under the low side when cooking. But where there's a will there's a way. Hope you enjoy it

I think that’s the move, thanks. Was mainly worried about it tipping over or rolling, but seems like a lot of people have similar situations or worse and are fine. 

• 3 weeks later...