Sign in to follow this  
WI/TN

Oven roasted tomato sauce.

Unfortunately i am not one to measure much of anything so all things approximate and sort pf season to taste.

I sort of followed an episode of diners drove ins and dives and gave it my spin.

In a deep oven safe lasagna pan or other dish large enough...i sort of coated the bottom with olive oil (EVOO bold flavor is what i had)

Tossed in about 6 large peeled and halved cloves of garlic.  These were big suckers and most of a bulb.

Then 2 cans of tomatoes.  I used two 15oz cans of peeled san marzano tomatoes.

Here is where my measuring sucks...dumped a good amount of oregano, and a good amount of premixed Italian herbs (this happened to be Penzeys brand).  And then a rough chopped large leaf of fresh basil.

Baked that uncovered at 400* for an hour.

put it into a blender to get a good not so chunky marinara consistency.   And into a pot to keep warm in the stove.

I served it over some papardelle pasta and meatballs(sorry no pics of the finished plate or meatballs. I forgot.)

Meatballs were a simple mix of about a pound and a half of ground beef and the same amount of ground turkey (usually use pork and beef but i had the turkey so I tried it...it worked out).

Kosher Salt, 2 eggs, breadcrumbs, and then in a food processor i put in about 2 large basil leaves maybe 3...some parsley...and another 4 large cloves of garlic and pulsed it down to a paste to mix in.

Baked those for 20 min at 400*. And kept 18 large meatballs warm for an hour or so in the crock pot with a mix of a large can of tomato sauce and 2 cups of beef stock (I use better than bouillon paste and love it).

Tossed the pasta to coat in some

sauce and plated...3 meatballs (slotted spoon to not get the warming liquid on the plate too much) on the side topped with the oven roasted sauce and fresh grated parm...and a little more finely chopped fresh basil.

As good as this was...I think cooking it on the KJ will be my next attempt for a different depth of flavor.

I do have pics of the roasted tomatoes and the finished sauce.

BE64B9B6-2F0F-4DFE-941F-486FACC0E714.jpeg

FEBD3EE5-E55E-4870-A5E9-D7F72E248B8E.jpeg