Brand new ... Joe Classic I - melted shelves warning

Aga

Hi Guys,

I gave away my old kamado with bamboo shelves...

Today I was heating up for pizza ... I removed pizza stone and put it on one shelve and and the indirect heat plates on other side ...

Both shelves started to melt ... Uhhh

Warning to others .. this plastic is not heat resistant !!!

Damage:

Deflector Plates

New pizza stone lol

And two shelves ....

Where I can order replacement in Canada... I hope non of that melted plastic ended up inside as this would be toxic cocktail

Just little warning for others... Bamboo ones are ok with heat done it before and they handled it 

This is a joke right, did you read the manual? Honestly i think a lot of these posts i see nowadays are trolling posts, posts from new members never to be heard of again, or just people that don't read the manual.

Why would you think you could place a hot stone on plastic?

Replacement parts can be bought from any authorized dealer, better yet when you google it the aluminum ones come up from Chadwick's and the HDPE kit comes up from Amazon.

Hence why I question these posts,  you took enough time to register to complain on a forum, but didn't have enough time to google it and find your answer in about 2 seconds.  

I don't post a lot but lately i see quite a bit of this kind of thing, raises and eye brow or two.

2 hours ago, odamaK said:

This is a joke right, did you read the manual? Honestly i think a lot of these posts i see nowadays are trolling posts, posts from new members never to be heard of again, or just people that don't read the manual.

Why would you think you could place a hot stone on plastic?

Replacement parts can be bought from any authorized dealer, better yet when you google it the aluminum ones come up from Chadwick's and the HDPE kit comes up from Amazon.

Hence why I question these posts,  you took enough time to register to complain on a forum, but didn't have enough time to google it and find your answer in about 2 seconds.  

I don't post a lot but lately i see quite a bit of this kind of thing, raises and eye brow or two.

I see about 2 posts a week that make me wonder if the OP is either trolling or is inteligent enough to be playing with charcoal unsupervised...

I had a problem with a shelf when using the Jotisserie (reported here some time ago). The left shelf has to be dropped to clear the motor mount but if you are not careful/observant it can press against the ceramic and melt. It can move about a 1/4" so you need to make sure it stands clear. Can happen on any cook where the shelves are not extended. 

20190920_144152.thumb.jpg.38ad23054a191897feafecb034f814d4.jpg.4ddb7d8f8a76ba02ec40f658e7325ba6.jpg

20190920_144108.thumb.jpg.23799bbd413bd6863a8e1f86bac8787c.jpg.e2ad821d55bd6be658c9054c4c0070b3.jpg

I think this sort of problem is why KJ changed the shelves, yet again, to alloy slats. Quick solution is to buy secondhand shelves off eBay from owners with built in KJ's (there are quite a few) and replace the screw on slats as necessary.

Not a joke ...there was no manual included except red label attached saying to tighten bands.

It was bad assumption on my end that the shelves were made from "plastic" material like Richlite, Nelson, Teflon etc ... That can handle hot object's....

Reading comments obviously im not the only since KJ re designed them and 3rd version is aluminum tubbing ...

Quick google returns a lot more people with this issue.

If they had manual in box and didn't read it whole different story

And off course I searched ... And everyone is out of stock of the alu shelves that I could find me. And my dealer does not list the deflector Plates.

This wasn't a complaint just a warning for other users that might not have manual in box :)

Screenshot_20200622-084123~2.png

This is something i don't understand why they put those kind  shelves on  I ALMOST put a hot grill on them more than once it's just seems like  natural thing to do when moving grill or plates around.Lift them off and set them down. With wood they might char but wont melt and gunk up the ceramic plates. Guess they decided to go with something that looks better after a few years in the weather 

22 minutes ago, len440 said:

This is something i don't understand why they put those kind  shelves on  I ALMOST put a hot grill on them more than once it's just seems like  natural thing to do when moving grill or plates around.Lift them off and set them down. With wood they might char but wont melt and gunk up the ceramic plates. Guess they decided to go with something that looks better after a few years in the weather 

Yes I think over all it's great idea from perspective of longevity.... To be honest bamboo looks pretty freaking new after years of "abuse"

But they realized this is an issue, and 3rd gen has metal shelves.

My fault for not requesting copy of instruction... and assuming it's heat resistant...

I will not attempt to clean the heat deflectors or pizza stone... Just not worth risk.

Again this was posted to serve as ugly reminder to users.

On 6/22/2020 at 3:42 PM, Aga said:

Yes I think over all it's great idea from perspective of longevity.... To be honest bamboo looks pretty freaking new after years of "abuse"

If that is the case you are lucky, my bamboo shelves began to go funky (mold I suspect) as did many others. I believe that was the primary reason they were replaced by the plastic.