Drud0616

Temperature differences

Hello I'm fairly new to smoking and hope some of you can help me with an issue i've been having with my Kamado grill.  I have a Vision pro-C which overall I would say I am fairly happy.   The grill has a cast iron bottom grate and a 2nd level grate stacked on top.  During smoking sessions I clip a thermometer in the bottom grate, one on the top grate, and another one sticking into the top vent.  Strangely, i receive 3 wildly different tempt.  I try to achieve a temp of around 225F. The bottom grate measures 200F, top grate measures 265F, and top vent 220F. All temps were very steady over a 5 hr cook. Do any of you have this issue?  I figured since Kamados are so well insulated the temps would be even throughout.

45 minutes ago, Drud0616 said:

Hello I'm fairly new to smoking and hope some of you can help me with an issue i've been having with my Kamado grill.  I have a Vision pro-C which overall I would say I am fairly happy.   The grill has a cast iron bottom grate and a 2nd level grate stacked on top.  During smoking sessions I clip a thermometer in the bottom grate, one on the top grate, and another one sticking into the top vent.  Strangely, i receive 3 wildly different tempt.  I try to achieve a temp of around 225F. The bottom grate measures 200F, top grate measures 265F, and top vent 220F. All temps were very steady over a 5 hr cook. Do any of you have this issue?  I figured since Kamados are so well insulated the temps would be even throughout.

Go with the dome thermometer temp and you will never have a bad result. Every electronic probe you put in the grill is gonna read differently from the dome and every other electronic probe.  The thing is that they are all close enough that it won't make a difference in your cook.  Grate temperature results are gonna be wildly different at any given point on the grate in relation to where your food is located and where the heat may be rising from around the edges of your heat deflector.  It's wildly inconsistent.  Consistency in temperature is far more important than extreme accuracy.  

Measure less.  Cook more.

:)

I asked the same question a while back. John responded in much the same way. I will say his words have been spot on.

And if you eventually get a temperature control system,  I clip a probe for my temp controller on my analog dome temp. gauge probe which reads within a few degrees of each other. I have dangled the probe through my top vent, but like clipping it on the probe best.

I use a Flame Boss 100 (dated) which works great, the many other temp control systems have some slick features-lots of posts/preferences on that topic.

M.

Thanks John and Mike.  So it sounds like the dome temp is a good guideline and as long as it is steady, then its good to go.  I read some posts that point to the grate temp as the most accurate, but when you have two grate levels, its hard to know which one is the "accurate temp."  As for Mike's point on the Temperature Control system, I just purchased the BBQ Guru UltraQ with the Viper Fan, haven't had an opportunity to test it out yet, but I look forward to seeing if it works well.  Thanks again!