Chasdev

Storing strawberries so they stay fresh a long time

I read a tip the other day on how to store fresh strawberries so I tried it and it works beyond belief.

I only buy organic strawberries due to the large amount of pesticides they are known to carry if not raised organic and I always seem to have some go bad before all were eaten.

Not any more, the ones pictured have been in my fridge for a week and are fresh as the day I bought them.

Here's how to do it.

Do not WASH dry them in water, let them air dry on the counter with an inch or two space between each to get rid of any moisture they may have picked up at the store.

Use clean dry mason jars, don't crowd too much and tighten the lid.

That's it.

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail_002.jpg

My two girls love fruit, I'm amazed sometimes at how quickly large bowls of cherries or strawberries can disappear. But they are not as good at finding and eating them when they are in the fridge! Like you we always have some that go bad. I will try this trick with our next batch of strawberries.

Will have to try this. I’ve dumped too many strawberries that have gotten hairy and could have walked out the door on their own or picked a fight with the blueberries

Thanks for the tip. Nearly two weeks in and my test batch looks like I just bought them. It doesn't taste exactly like they did when fresh but still very good.