What should my second BBQ be?

I have a KJ classic - had it for over 6 years. Agree with your comment about best purchase ever. I also have a 22” Weber Kettle which comes in real handy if I want to smoke multiple meats. If you want to save some money, get a Kettle. If you don’t mind spending some more money, definitely get another 18” KJ. You can’t beat the versatility.

I have a large extended family that always end up at my house for all birthday and holiday occasions. I have had a mix of grills over the years but I have ended up with my Big Joe, an Akorn Jr, Timberline 1300 and a Camp Chef Flattop Griddle. For me this is the perfect combination, as mostly I am cooking for just the two of us. The Jr does a great job, or I can fire up the griddle. I can cook anything on the Big Joe when I want something special for us, like reverse sear steaks, or a standing rib roast on the Joetisserie. When I have the whole tribe over I sometimes have everything going. I would recommend you looking into the Camp Chef for you added grill. It is a griddle, for burgers and such and you can take the top off and you have a gas grill for quick cooks, kind of the best of both worlds. Adding a pellet grill would be mainly for smoking. Personally, I don't really think a pellet grill is much good for anything but smoking, which it does a great job at, especially for poultry, My family request I do my Thanksgiving turkeys on my 1300 now.

On 6/29/2020 at 8:52 AM, walame said:

... I live in a townhouse with a patio/terrace but no backyard.

Sounds like floor space matters. That's the only reason for an upgrade instead of a second grill. 

I have a original Big Joe. The divide-and-conquer grate system combined with the fire bowl divider gives you a wide range of options for dual cooking environments. It's very easy to do direct/indirect sides. I commonly use soapstone over the lit half of the fire bowl, and deflector/grate on the indirect side. Or the opposite... you can rotate the whole grate system while you're cooking. Don't discount the upgrade path too quickly; it can do two things at once, albeit with limited grill space. 

If you have the floor space, or need more grill space, it's hard to beat @John Setzler logic, especially since Classic I is available for $500-600. Different hinge and gasket but the same accessory commonality and cooking capabilities as your Classic II. 

Stay well,

Frank

• 3 weeks later...

If you feel like you're going to be doing multiple low n slow cooks in future, then another kamado makes sense.

But the fact you've had a kamado this long and haven't started makes me think it would be a bit mad to buy another kamado when you're main fare is grilled items. 

There's nothing wrong with future proofing, but another kamado is plain overkill. I understand not wanting to buy only based on cost, but a weber kettle literally ticks all your boxes for current and likely future use.

• 2 weeks later...

About the most versatile grill you can buy is an old tried and tested Weber kettle.  Either a Performer (I have one) or a Weber Premium  https://www.amazon.com/Weber-Original-Premium-Charcoal-22-Inch/dp/B00MKB5TXA/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=weber+kettle&qid=1596345735&sr=8-2 

If pushed for space and money, the Premium, if not, the Performer is VERY nice as a compliment to a Kamado.

Tom

Huh, you mentioned a PK. I have always found those intriguing. I think you cant go wrong with that. A regular kettle would prob solve your issues and save some dough. The performer, as T-on stated, is a sweet upgrade to a kettle. A BK keg would be a nice lightweight decent sized yet portable companion. An Akorn would be another option.  Or another classic.

If portability is ever going to be an issue look at the Keg and PK.

That weber summit is so sweet too.

Or a Treager. 

Sorry.

Guess I didn't help.

Let me know what u decide.

Or just get em all. That would be kool.

On 8/8/2020 at 1:01 PM, Bgosnell151 said:

I would throw out another option for you and that would be a flat top.  I have a classic II and an 18” cast iron flat top.  The work together perfectly and you can do a ton on the griddle.

I have a gasser, a griggle (28" Blackstone), an Akorn and a spanking new, <1 week old, Classic II. 

I have zero need of the gasser. It was purchased immediately prior to the Akorn and has been used a handful of times. 

I will probably sell the Akorn. I should sell the gasser before it's worthless. I could easily get by with only the Classic and griggle. This is easily the most versatile combination I could ever imagine, as has been mentioned. 

I would certainly like another KJ, a Jr and/or a Big Joe. But I have no plans for another acquisition. 

My suggestion is a griggle. I have almost convinced myself that searing on the Blackstone is comparable to the KJ Soapstone. Almost. After that I can do a hell of a lot with the two implements. 

If the OP is only grilling steaks & burgers as he says then I would also suggest a gas grill as the second grill. If the OP thinks he wants to experiment with more smoking of meats than I would say either another KJ or even an electric smoker. As long as he's good with the flavor profile.

On 8/12/2020 at 2:12 PM, IMAVGAN said:

If the OP is only grilling steaks & burgers as he says then I would also suggest a gas grill as the second grill. If the OP thinks he wants to experiment with more smoking of meats than I would say either another KJ or even an electric smoker. As long as he's good with the flavor profile.

i couldnt imagine cooking steaks on a gas grill anymore

• 2 months later...

I was in a similar quandary to the OP - since March every time I've had people over to visit I've been cooking in the back garden and have usually ended up cooking low and slow: pork shoulder, ribs, the occasional brisket. 

To give me a bit more flexibility I decided it would be a good idea to get a second grill to complement my main grill (Monolith Pro) and ended up getting a KJ jr (which was delivered yesterday!)  I would have loved to start using it today, but being Britain in the autumn we are expecting several days of heavy rain so it looks like I'm going to have to wait for the weekend...

1 hour ago, Alekto said:

I was in a similar quandary to the OP - since March every time I've had people over to visit I've been cooking in the back garden and have usually ended up cooking low and slow: pork shoulder, ribs, the occasional brisket. 

To give me a bit more flexibility I decided it would be a good idea to get a second grill to complement my main grill (Monolith Pro) and ended up getting a KJ jr (which was delivered yesterday!)  I would have loved to start using it today, but being Britain in the autumn we are expecting several days of heavy rain so it looks like I'm going to have to wait for the weekend...

Come on, you need a bit more commitment! Have you never heard of an umbrella? In fact, a big garden parasol makes wet cooks quite bearable....

8 hours ago, adm said:

Come on, you need a bit more commitment! Have you never heard of an umbrella? In fact, a big garden parasol makes wet cooks quite bearable....

Unfortunately my parasol has become somewhat saggy since my cats have decided that it makes a great summer sun hammock.  Rain + Sagging Parasol + Wind = Overhead water reservoirs that overspill, usually on me!