FireBoard 2 Drive

You guys are selling me on buying one, The biggest problem I have on my Kamado Big Joe is temp control as i'm sure most first time users are.
I used to see my friend cook on his regular sized green egg and the biggest problem i have is fuel gauging. I know a monitor won't fix that but might help me fine tune.
Will this work on a big joe size?
As well I know this is a different topic, how heavy are you guys packing in charcoal into a larger size kamado? I generally fill as much as I can with maybe a layer of 2-3 charcoals stacked but do I need it more like 4-5 layers?

Thanks!

27 minutes ago, Clooud said:

You guys are selling me on buying one, The biggest problem I have on my Kamado Big Joe is temp control as i'm sure most first time users are.
I used to see my friend cook on his regular sized green egg and the biggest problem i have is fuel gauging. I know a monitor won't fix that but might help me fine tune.
As well I know this is a different topic, how heavy are you guys packing in charcoal into a larger size kamado? I generally fill as much as I can with maybe a layer of 2-3 charcoals stacked but do I need it more like 4-5 layers?

Thanks!

It will work on a Big Joe.. no problem... Try out Atlanta Grill Company for your order unless you have another favorite somewhere...

http://www.atlantagrillcompany.com

54 minutes ago, Clooud said:

Thanks!

I would say to put as much charcoal in your fire basket as possible. But...make sure you keep the Kamado clean of ash between cooks so you have good airflow.

You don't have to use all the charcoal, but if you run out, it's a pain in the ### to refill it in the middle of a cook!

Thanks, Ill try that the cheapie in me always tries to do just enough but yes I think it kills me in the end to add more midway.

I reuse charcoal yes when its not completely burnt but what do you mean about clean ash?

Just clean the ash try to make sure bottom vent has air? I make sure to do that

8 hours ago, Clooud said:

Thanks, Ill try that the cheapie in me always tries to do just enough but yes I think it kills me in the end to add more midway.

I reuse charcoal yes when its not completely burnt but what do you mean about clean ash?

Just clean the ash try to make sure bottom vent has air? I make sure to do that

Exactly - when the K is cold, just lift out the charcoal basket and give it a good shake to get rid of any ash or small pieces. Everything that's left is good for reuse.

Then sweep the ash out of the bottom of the cooker so all vent holes are nice and clear.

So my Fireboard 2 Drive and the 20cfm fan arrived yesterday. Today I am doing a test cook on it and you can follow it here if you are interested:

https://share.fireboard.io/A2BA67

This is my first time ever using a controller, so I am playing it safe. I have a food probe in a sweet potato weighing about 3 lbs, and an ambient probe at the grate level.

The overshoot at the beginning is totally up to me. I had the top vents open too far, and the fan set to 50% max. I also ignored Fireboard's instruction to set the thing going on a falling fire. Anyway.....once it overshot, I closed the top vent to just a tiny crack, set the fan to max 30% and let the temp fall. Since it got down to the set point, it has been rock solid - within about +/- 1 degree for the last couple of hours.

Degrees are in C - so the current set point of 110C is approximately 230F. I'm going to raise the set point to 120C (248F) and see how it goes.... might mess around with a Drive Program a little later on....

All in all, I am impressed so far.

@adm I set my fan at 20% max and it works great.  I light a firestarter (usually half of one for a cook at 300 degrees or less) and let it burn about 5 minutes and then start the controller... it rarely overshoots more than a couple degrees with those fan settings.

9 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

@adm I set my fan at 20% max and it works great.  I light a firestarter (usually half of one for a cook at 300 degrees or less) and let it burn about 5 minutes and then start the controller... it rarely overshoots more than a couple degrees with those fan settings.

Good info John - I'll try the 20% fan setting next time. I also only use one fire starter for low temp cooks, but the 50% fan setting was obviously far too high....

2 minutes ago, adm said:

Good info John - I'll try the 20% fan setting next time. I also only use one fire starter for low temp cooks, but the 50% fan setting was obviously far too high....

At 20% it can take a little longer for your grill to get to temp but on a low and slow cook that just isn't really an issue.  You can put the meat on whenever you want.