FireBoard 2 Drive

Just got a Fireboard 2 and used it last night as a quick test before a longer cook.

You all really weren't joking about choking down the exhaust vent; anything more than a bare sliver open (even smaller than the photo in your shared cook, John) was letting my temps run away.

But once I figured that out, it held within +/- 1F.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Ya'll

Been running the Fireboard 2 Drive in conjunction with my Big Joe 3 since Christmas.

Noticed what I think is an issue with the battery.

I either run my drive plugged in or fully charge it before putting it away.

When I pull my unit back out after a couple weeks of not using it, the battery is severely depleted.

Today when I powered it on the battery was at 65% after being put away fully 100% charged. Seems a little excessive.

When I use it not plugged in the battery drains quickly. With or without the fan. I get the fan will drain it quicker. I'd be scared to leave it overnight unplugged at this point, afraid I'd wake up to a dead unit. Based on others reviews I've read, this seems abnormal. Guessing I got a bum battery. It happens.

I reached out to Fireboard Labs today. Just curious if anyone else had experienced battery issues?

Unit itself is an amazing little bit of tech. Love it.

• 2 weeks later...

My battery is always down after I store it for a while as well. Batteries will drain over time, even in

devices that are powered down.

The Fireboard may not fully power off, even if you power it off using the buttons, hence the vampire battery drain.

I try to remember to top mine off the day before a planned cook.

I also have a USB-C battery pack that I keep in my grilling kit. I plug that into the Fireboard if I'm doing an overnight cook.

9 hours ago, jtemple said:

My battery is always down after I store it for a while as well. Batteries will drain over time, even in

devices that are powered down.

The Fireboard may not fully power off, even if you power it off using the buttons, hence the vampire battery drain.

I try to remember to top mine off the day before a planned cook.

I also have a USB-C battery pack that I keep in my grilling kit. I plug that into the Fireboard if I'm doing an overnight cook.

Yep. You are correct. FireBoard had me do a test. Came back fine. Must be stuff running in the background when it’s off. 

• 6 months later...

Seems my FB 300 died as confirmed by FB.  Odd it worked right before the firmware update but after it didn't.  Loved it over the several years I had it.

Anyway down to decision between FB500 vs Fireboard Drive 2.  Leading toward Fireboard but since this thread is fairly stale just asking ya'll for your long term feedback.

3 hours ago, Gary C said:

Seems my FB 300 died as confirmed by FB.  Odd it worked right before the firmware update but after it didn't.  Loved it over the several years I had it.

Anyway down to decision between FB500 vs Fireboard Drive 2.  Leading toward Fireboard but since this thread is fairly stale just asking ya'll for your long term feedback.

I have been using the fireboard 2 drive and the 2 pro since each of them were released.  I am still as happy with Fireboard as I was the day I got each of them.  I have no complaints.  I do prefer the PRO model with the k-couple probes that are more heat resistant than the standard probes.  Those probes are also compatible with the new Fireboard Spark that is getting ready to hit the streets.