Just got a Fireboard 2 and used it last night as a quick test before a longer cook.

You all really weren't joking about choking down the exhaust vent; anything more than a bare sliver open (even smaller than the photo in your shared cook, John) was letting my temps run away.

But once I figured that out, it held within +/- 1F.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Which temperature controller do you like?   Greetings Man Cave Family and welcome to a new week... It's a holiday week so my personal intent is to be fairly lazy this week. The new F

I don't think the Drive Programs has found its way to the web interface yet but I hope that it does also.  I'd much rather set those up from my PC than the phone.. .lol.  

I'll just reiterate what was already stated, these temperature controllers are a luxury item that may help your peace of mind especially with overnight cooks but they are far from a necessity for succ

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Ya'll

Been running the Fireboard 2 Drive in conjunction with my Big Joe 3 since Christmas.

Noticed what I think is an issue with the battery.

I either run my drive plugged in or fully charge it before putting it away.

When I pull my unit back out after a couple weeks of not using it, the battery is severely depleted.

Today when I powered it on the battery was at 65% after being put away fully 100% charged. Seems a little excessive.

When I use it not plugged in the battery drains quickly. With or without the fan. I get the fan will drain it quicker. I'd be scared to leave it overnight unplugged at this point, afraid I'd wake up to a dead unit. Based on others reviews I've read, this seems abnormal. Guessing I got a bum battery. It happens.

I reached out to Fireboard Labs today. Just curious if anyone else had experienced battery issues?

Unit itself is an amazing little bit of tech. Love it.

• 2 weeks later...

My battery is always down after I store it for a while as well. Batteries will drain over time, even in

devices that are powered down.

The Fireboard may not fully power off, even if you power it off using the buttons, hence the vampire battery drain.

I try to remember to top mine off the day before a planned cook.

I also have a USB-C battery pack that I keep in my grilling kit. I plug that into the Fireboard if I'm doing an overnight cook.

9 hours ago, jtemple said:

My battery is always down after I store it for a while as well. Batteries will drain over time, even in

devices that are powered down.

The Fireboard may not fully power off, even if you power it off using the buttons, hence the vampire battery drain.

I try to remember to top mine off the day before a planned cook.

I also have a USB-C battery pack that I keep in my grilling kit. I plug that into the Fireboard if I'm doing an overnight cook.

Yep. You are correct. FireBoard had me do a test. Came back fine. Must be stuff running in the background when it’s off. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By KJKiley
      So this finally happened today (just a few days short of 6 weeks). 

Since we’re rapidly running out of month, the inaugural cook also happens to be for the Five Ingredient Challenge.  I was inspired by John Setzler’s SloRoller chicken video so I opted for that method.

Ingredients:
      Whole chicken
      Pineapple
      Red pepper
      Vidalia onion
      Honey
      Wayward Gourmet Applewood Smoked BBQ Awesomeness
      Salt & Pepper
      Olive Oil

I did a dry brine on the chicken the night prior.

Finally fired up the grill and set it for 375.  I swapped sides at about the 35 minute point and bumped the temp up to 425, checked on them after an hour and reduced the temp to 400.  Pulled both at about 80-85 minutes.

Slow roasted the veggies with some salt & pepper and olive oil in the oven at 350, and finished on the grill.

True to John’s video, the chicken skin was crispy and the chicken super moist.  My wife’s assessment was ‘the best chicken I’ve ever cooked’ so I consider the first round (of many) a success.

• By loki
      Waiting, waiting, waiting for the Kamado Big Joe to arrive. Nothing.

Welp, expecting friends from out of town this weekend and can wait no longer. So, I picked up a Weber Summit Charcoal grill (kamado style) along with a Pit Viper fan. Once the Big Joe arrives I'll have two Kamados!

Anyhow, I tried the new Fireboard 2 Drive on this grill along with a Pit Viper fan for a hot smoked pork belly session.

I was in a bit of a rush to get things going so I used the fan to stoke the coals up to temperature with a target of 225F. With the Weber bottom vent fully closed and the top vent 1/4 open, the temperature initially overshot about 15 degrees. I brought the temperature down by opening the lid briefly when adding the belly and to make other adjustments (the dips in the graph).

Once things were settled in, though, the temperature was regulated on the order of tenths of a degree around the 225F target . That's pretty awesome.

Sitting at the computer typing emails and monitoring the temperatures on a browser. With the Fireboard 2 Drive and the kamado, this set-up has better performance and regulation than our kitchen oven.

• By dathzo
      Hi all,

I have lately been researching about temperature controllers for Kamados. Several alternatives are out there and each of them have their fan base. A lot of the information available is based on feeling and intuition, which is great. However, I miss a repository of information based on factual data of the controller's performance provided by users. This is the intention of this thread and hopefully, it will serve to educate the audience, firstly on how to make the choice when buying a temperature controller and secondly how to best use them.

I have put together a set of questions for the people to answer that will help fellow BBQers immersed into the temperature controllers world.

Thank you all in advance for supporting this research project!

1. What Kamado cooker you are using?
      2. What temperature controller do you have?
      3. What are your vent and fan settings on your Kamado? (Pictures when available)
      4. Where do you place your ambient probe for temperature control? (Pictures when available)
      5. At what point on your cook you let the controller to take over
      6. Please share the graph from your temperature control with eventual fan output
      7. What do you love about your controller?
      8. What would you improve about your controller?
      9. Anything else you want to share
      10. And last but not least, share pictures of your cook 
    • By tmc
      I thought I'd write a quick review of using the BBQ Guru Pit Viper fan and their Blaze Kamado adapter.

The adapter comes as two pieces, one for inside the grill and one for outside.
      There are two hex-head screws and wingnuts to cinch it down in the opening.
      It seems it's designed to go in from the inside, but I wanted to try to slip it in from the outside.

Here's my first attempt at that

This didn't work because the second bolt couldn't be pulled through the outer plate and cinched down.

Next I added jam nuts and washers (from my shop "spare parts bin," these are not included):

With those, I was able to insert the back plate and pull it through-- it was a tight fit with the bolts pressing against the Blaze's vent opening:

but it worked:

However, the front plate is not quite large enough and just barely covers the opening:

It did perform well with the fireboard and its motor control cable.
      Note that although the cable has a separate input for the motor power, the fireboard itself will drive it without that.
      I used an aux USB battery to keep the fireboard energized:

Hope this helps.  Would I buy it again?  Yes, but I wish BBQ Guru included the jam nuts and washers.  I also was surprised that the front plate just barely fit the opening.  It should be larger by about 5mm.

Tom

• By Red River Smoke
      Made a Costco pack of pork shoulder (15lbs) on Saturday, this was actually my first really long cook with my Akorn, turned out great!  Used Meathead's rub recipe, and dumped on some Pig's ### sauce (nice surprise how good that was!) after it was pulled.  Otherwise just let it go almost 12 hours with some hickory thrown in with the lump pulled them off around 197 degrees.  The shoulder I thought was larger got done about 45 minutes quicker, really loving having multiple probes with the Fireboard. I think the wind was swirling a bit as I had a little harder time than usual maintaining pit temps, I was aiming for about 240 at the grill, but I did let it climb a bit at the end trying to push through the stall.  Also the first time I really noticed a stall, so I'm thinking that my other ways I've done pulled pork before I had a kamado were running hotter than I thought and I didn't have a good way to monitor it.  Had some happy family and friends with the end result and I had fun cooking anyway, also made some cheesy hashbrowns to go with.