Finally did a pizza

The rest of the family is away so I decided to just go ahead and do a pizza.  I went with the 2 hour 70% dough recipe and got the Akorn up to somewhere in the 500F - 550F range.  I've got the heat stone so that went into the fire box.  But I also have a pampered chef pizza stone that I've been using for about a decade in the oven for the pizza to sit on.  I did learn that I need a new peel as mine has a broken side and it made for a very oblong pizza.  Overall, I'm happy.  I'm just not sure that anyone else in the family will appreciate a "smokey" flavored pizza.

IMG_20200701_170510.jpg

IMG_20200701_170657.jpg

IMG_20200701_171155.jpg

IMG_20200701_165835.jpg

The pie looks good shape doesn't matter. Sometimes you can change the smoke profile on the pizza by changing the charcoal. When i do pizza i use royal oak, gives it more of a wood over flavor but rock wood is almost none. 

This last one was done with "Bayou Classic" that I picked up at ACE.  I also grabbed some Fogo that I need to try.  I'll look for whomever might sell royal oak local and give that a try.  Overall, I really need to get a decent peel though.  What I've got isn't cutting it.  I'll stop by our local restaurant supply store in Raleigh next time I'm up that way.  They have all the good toys ;). 

Looks good!  I just tried a test run on pizza last night using some Napoleon coconut shell charcoal.  It worked really well, gives off almost no smoke and just an extremely mild, almost sweet flavor.  It took a while to get going, but other than that I thought it worked perfectly for my 500° pizza cook.  Used 1/4 of the box, still a decent amount of unburnt charcoal in the basket after 3 hours.

I picked it up for $30 on Amazon for a 20lb box with free shipping.  I was worried it might be a little expensive for charcoal I didn't even know if I would like, but I think it's ideal for cooking things that you don't want the smoke to overpower, or even if you want to pinpoint exactly the smoke profile you want with added smoke wood only.  Currently looks like the price has climbed to $45, not sure if I would go for it at that price, but it might be a good option if you're worried the pizza is too smokey for the rest of the family.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZYB352G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_SWL.EbPM0WPFR

20200701_185335.jpg

20200701_190041.jpg

I found some Royal Oak today and did another cook.  Plus, I found a new peel at Bed Bath & Beyond of all places.  Much better taste and much less smoke.  I left it in maybe a minute too long.  This dough was left in the fridge for 2 days from the previous batch but remained easy to manipulate (maybe a bit too wet as it tore with very gentle stretching).

IMG_20200703_171343.jpg

IMG_20200703_170823.jpg

IMG_20200703_170530.jpg

1 hour ago, In2Fish said:

great looking 1st pizza.  did you make the dough? 

Yep.  I used this link.  I had gotten away from making my own dough due to time constraints but I'm home 90% of any given week now so I'm back to making my own.

Once upon a time I used this as my "all things bread" bible.  https://www.amazon.com/Bread-Bakers-Apprentice-Mastering-Extraordinary/dp/1580082688/ref=sr_1_2?crid=27LW4ZMD7KS7J&dchild=1&keywords=bread+makers+apprentice+book&qid=1593821166&sprefix=bread+makers+app%2Caps%2C161&sr=8-2.  It's a great book.  It's a good read.  But I never really fell in love with the pizza dough it produced.  By far the kitchen scale and percentage of hydration is producing a much easier to work with home pizza dough.

Looks like your getting better at the pizzas. Looks like in fridays pic the pizza is done more on the bottom of the pic, my joe does this due to the back getting hotter than the front half way through i rotate it. Can't tell for sure in the pic if this is happening to yours. But it still is a great looking pie.

Thanks!  I turned it 90 degrees at the 3 minute mark but I forget  where the hotspot was.  I think it may have been towards the front but that was more likely where I'd set my 1 of 3 charcoal fires at.  The kids won't eat it, but the wife and I will sure enjoy it ;).  The Royal Oak made a world of difference in the flavor.  You could tell it was done on wood but you wouldn't say it was smoked.  I'm exited to try again but my waist is saying this is probably going to have to be an every other week thing.