Posted (edited)

I am in process of burning out tree stumps.  My neighbour was kind and lent me the steel pipe to do the burning in.   I started the first burn at 7 am this morning and have water hose near by.   It was been raining lots and surrounding lawn grass is very wet.   I used my IR gun center of ring was about 900 F was reading in middle and 500 to 600F is outer inside edge. Free use of pipe and the cost of Lump charcoal much cheaper than $300 per stump it would cost me to have done.   Since I am stuck working from home, and the rain had finally stopped since yesterday,I decided to do this today.   I will update after the first one is done.  

25CC0E7D-57B1-4150-9CBB-6A734901FA5C.jpeg

82DCC607-6ED5-4881-AF3E-727FF027F225.jpeg

Edited by Rob_grill_apprentice

I burned out three stumps late last year. You may be surprised at the end of this process. It takes an ugodly amount fuel to burn them out.I was burning from sunup til way, way past sundown. Thankfully, none of my neighbors complained. Anyway, while lump may be cheaper than removal service, I think actual wood is the way to go. That is, if you have any splits, limbs or branches around... :-D

Wise move in splitting that stump...

Good luck...

Posted (edited)

Stump has turned into charcoal and is burning at 400C, 752F.

i got second stump soaked with kerosene and will put some more on tomorrow morning when first stump done,   Then transfer ring to it and start the process over,  

Edited by Rob_grill_apprentice

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Rob_grill_apprentice said:

Stump has turned into charcoal and is burning at 400C, 752F.

i got second stump soaked with kerosene and will put some more on tomorrow morning when first stump done,   Then transfer ring to it and start the process over,  

Sounds great!!!! See you have the advantage- kerosene would absolutely have scared the heck out of my neighbors. I did make good use out of a leaf blower however. :-D

Also, certain you know this but, do not pour water on the stump. It continues to burn underground to take out a portion of the root system. My stumps gave off whiffs of smoke for at least a few days.

Edited by CentralTexBBQ

2 hours ago, K_sqrd said:

Don't let a good fire like that go to waste. Put a grate over the top of the pipe and throw

a couple of 'Burgs or Brats on it or maybe a steak and enjoy.

I don't know about that, remember he soaked the stump in kerosene. That's got to give off a petroleum based odor and taste. 

I wasn't aware that he soaked the first stump in kerosene. I thought he did it to the second one only. If he

did soak both in kerosene then I agree, grilling over it is not a good idea.

Both were soaked with kerosene to ensure whole stump down into ground would burn out.   Temp still hot.   Stump getting lower,   It looking like this process will take 48 hours or lower before first burn completed.   I am hoping it doesn’t rain tonight,  

2 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

For far too many of my relatives, that petroleum based odor and taste is an essential part of the flavor profile. :rofl:

Unfortunately that's the case for a whole lot of folks that use BBQ lighter fluid. match lite briquets and such.

58 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Unfortunately that's the case for a whole lot of folks that use BBQ lighter fluid. match lite briquets and such.

That is why I use Kamado Joe starter or Looftlighter to light my charcoal.   From my youth I Remember the taste of bbq lighter fluid and I would never cook over open flame made with lighter fluid.