John Setzler

Kamado Joe Grill & Sear Plate

20200705_120350.jpg

20200705_120435.jpg

20200705_120544.jpg

20200705_120600.jpg

Have you seen the new Kamado Joe Grill & Sear Plate? I ordered this one from Atlanta Grill Company and it arrived here at the Man Cave today. This is designed to be a reversible cast iron grilling surface for use on the Kamado Joe Jr. and the Kamado Joe Classic.  THERE IS NO VERSION OF THIS THAT WILL FIT IN A BIG JOE.

I intend to use this for searing projects on both grills but there is an unadvertised use for this as well that I want to tell you about....

This plate sits on the lowest ring of the Divide & Conquer rack very close to the coals in the firebox. This plate will serve very well as a high temperature searing surface in the Classic but it will also make a FANTASTIC alternative heat deflector for low and slow cooking. If you flip this grate so the wide side of the grill bars are facing up, it will serve as an adequate low and slow heat deflector that will allow some fat from your meat to drip into the fire and produce some of that amazing smoke from the fat that adds a great flavor to your meat. When I was cooking a lot of meat on my old Weber Smokey Mountain and my Ugly Drum Smoker, I was using homemade perforated heat deflectors for this very purpose.

I can't wait to give this a try as a heat deflector... THAT is gonna happen either Monday or Tuesday here at the Man Cave..... Stay tuned for more on that!

#KamadoJoe #SearPlate #AtlantaGrillCompany

Very interesting looking forward for your review . Wonder if the 3 raised lips are for an egg also. That low and cast iron should give you great sear 

43 minutes ago, len440 said:

Very interesting looking forward for your review . Wonder if the 3 raised lips are for an egg also. That low and cast iron should give you great sear 

I am not sure what the raised lips are for unless it's to keep the grate from sliding around when you have it sitting on the lower ring of the Classic divide & conquer rack....

48 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

I am not sure what the raised lips are for unless it's to keep the grate from sliding around when you have it sitting on the lower ring of the Classic divide & conquer rack....

Looking at the picture it looks like the raised lips are opposite the notches, which might be to accommodate the posts on the D&C rack. @John Setzler Does the other side have similar raised lips?

28 minutes ago, Golf Griller said:

Looking at the picture it looks like the raised lips are opposite the notches, which might be to accommodate the posts on the D&C rack. @John Setzler Does the other side have similar raised lips?

It doesn't fit on the d/c rack anywhere but the lowest ring on the classic rack.

I’ve gotten so used to using the soapstone half moon for searing, I’m curious to see what the advantage of the sear grate would be.  

I’m shocked they didn’t make a version for the Big Joe too.

22 minutes ago, Charcoal Addict said:

I’ve gotten so used to using the soapstone half moon for searing, I’m curious to see what the advantage of the sear grate would be.  

I’m shocked they didn’t make a version for the Big Joe too.

This is an accessory for the Joe Jr.  That's its primary function.  A secondary function is that it will sit on the lower ring of the Classic rack if someone wants to cook on it down there.  I used it as a heat deflector for a pork butt cook overnight and it worked really well.

I would like to try a KJ grill and sear plate. Our budget say to get a used one-especially if undecided.

I'd be glad to include shipping in a purchase if anyone is so inclined.:good:

If not, I still have my pizza pan I use a a heat deflector, or my stock divide and conquer. Searing as I still do. Okay but not great.

M.

John just had a thought you said this was for the JR i wonder if those tabs would keep the plate from sitting directly on the firebox ring and leave a1/4 inch gap or so around the plate. Don't know why it would be needed but just a thought.

Is the sear plate regular cast iron, or does it have a non-stick coating? 

If the latter, was it easy to clean and doesn't have to be seasoned?

Joe