Hi guys!
Long time reader first time poster. Was just looking to refill charcoal and wondered if anyone used atlanta grill company charcoal? Good pricing but i've found out that I rather pay for a little extra for better quality cooks and longer burns. At the moment I am a fan of Kamado XL charcoal and have had problems with other types like Cowboy.
Ive yet to use Royal Oak brand, I hear from you guys its the best but unfortunately my store only carries the briquette version and I would like to avoid those chemicals. 

https://www.amazon.com/Royal-Oak-195228021-Lump-Charcoal/dp/B019H0DAQ4/ref=sxin_7?ascsubtag=amzn1.osa.dfff58df-bf3e-4ae4-b5bd-35a046ceb1a6.ATVPDKIKX0DER.en_US&creativeASIN=B019H0DAQ4&crid=JIR1X4JCJGS4&cv_ct_cx=lump+charcoal&cv_ct_id=amzn1.osa.dfff58df-bf3e-4ae4-b5bd-35a046ceb1a6.ATVPDKIKX0DER.en_US&cv_ct_pg=search&cv_ct_wn=osp-single-source&dchild=1&keywords=lump+charcoal&linkCode=oas&pd_rd_i=B019H0DAQ4&pd_rd_r=ffb8041e-a064-4837-9b33-12e437f700db&pd_rd_w=oLojc&pd_rd_wg=iCyAd&pf_rd_p=239b7e46-2801-4de5-be76-268606e8ded2&pf_rd_r=9Q0CDZ85FTA9WNY8P68F&qid=1594060727&sprefix=Lump+charcoal%2Caps%2C204&sr=1-2-72d6bf18-a4db-4490-a794-9cd9552ac58d&tag=thesprucepublish-20

https://atlantagrillcompany.com/products/atlanta-grill-company-charcoal?variant=32126550048877

Just curious on peoples thoughts. Thanks!

I look forward to you giving me feedback John! Thanks
I am curious to your signature what do you mean about temperature control system? Something other than a  wired thermometer?

I've used probably half a dozen or more different brands of lump charcoal and the only negative thing I have for any of those is I got some rocks in a bag of BGE lump, at least I'm about 90% sure they were from the BGE bag.  Maybe KJ XL had bigger chunks and maybe Cowboy produced a bit more smoke at first light, but once the pit was settled at temp and the smoke ran clean everything I've cooked has come out delicious.  From what I can tell lump isn't anywhere near like briquettes,  I won't let a generic bag of grocery store brand briquettes near my Weber Kettle ever again.  Some briquette brands just put off harsh smoke and won't ever get really good and hot.  I buy whatever lump I can get a good deal on.

2 minutes ago, Clooud said:

I look forward to you giving me feedback John! Thanks
I am curious to your signature what do you mean about temperature control system? Something other than a  wired thermometer?

That's exactly what he means, temp controllers usually have a probe at grate level that runs back to a box that controls or has a fan attached that blows air into you bottom vent.  It's basically a smart bellows system for you grill.  Some even have wifi and bluetooth for remote monitoring or even remote temperature control.  John lists a few in his really right stuff list at the top of the forums.  I have a BBQube controller, worth every penny for a good nights sleep on those long cooks.

5 hours ago, Clooud said:

Ive yet to use Royal Oak brand, I hear from you guys its the best but unfortunately my store only carries the briquette version

Royal Oak is medium grade lump, nowhere near the best but decent. 

BGE lump is re-bagged Royal Oak. 

On 7/6/2020 at 3:49 PM, Tarnation said:

I've used probably half a dozen or more different brands of lump charcoal and the only negative thing I have for any of those is I got some rocks in a bag of BGE lump, at least I'm about 90% sure they were from the BGE bag.  Maybe KJ XL had bigger chunks and maybe Cowboy produced a bit more smoke at first light, but once the pit was settled at temp and the smoke ran clean everything I've cooked has come out delicious.  From what I can tell lump isn't anywhere near like briquettes,  I won't let a generic bag of grocery store brand briquettes near my Weber Kettle ever again.  Some briquette brands just put off harsh smoke and won't ever get really good and hot.  I buy whatever lump I can get a good deal on.

After reading a lot, watching YouTube a lot and actually trying a lot of charcoal, my most important factor is small pieces. South American lump burns longer and North American lump seems to light faster so I somewhat look at that as well based on what I am cooking, but getting a 20Lb bag with 20% pieces that fall through my KJ Basket is always disappointing. For that reason alone, I really like Fogo Super Premium because the pieces are "hand selected" and I get more consistent, B-I-G pieces. 

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Clooud said:

@John Setzler Any thoughts on the charcoal? Plan to restock soon.

Thanks!

Honestly, I don't think twice about charcoal.  I am using Kamado Joe Big Block right now because they have supplied me with a bunch of it.  If I was buying my own charcoal, I'd be buying Royal Oak from Walmart and/or B&B from Academy Sports.  I doubt very seriously I'd spend any more than what those cost on lump charcoal.

51 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

Honestly, I don't think twice about charcoal.  I am using Kamado Joe Big Block right now because they have supplied me with a bunch of it.  If I was buying my own charcoal, I'd be buying Royal Oak from Walmart and/or B&B from Academy Sports.  I doubt very seriously I'd spend any more than what those cost on lump charcoal.

I agree 100%. That's exactly why I use the Big Block. Although I think it's fantastic, it is the cheapest lump I can find. About, 18 months ago or so, Walmart and others really raised the prices on the RO. So, I wait for a Roadshow or a sale on the KJ and still come out cheaper. (I have seen the RO cheaper when Walmart is dumping their stock around Late September and October).

I don't think that charcoal provides only heat.  I think that various woods provide different tastes or at least same taste at differing strengths.  However, that doesn't make much difference to me since I almost always add smoke flavoring wood chunks.

The only time I skip wood chunks is when grilling.  Then the renderings from certain meats drip onto the coals and provide the flavor we want.

So, I'm in John Setzler's camp.  And, like @Larrsz, I'm also concerned with the lump size.