• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Greetings and welcome to Kamado Guru.  There is a ton of information here as you will soon discover.  There are also a lot of people here who are willing to answer your questions and give you advice. 

This is Great, thanks for sharing

About to take my Akron jr kamado out of the box.  Wondering what my first steps should be??

Posted Images

3 hours ago, MetroGnome said:

Looong time KAMADO experience(since the ‘60s) presently have a Char-Broil Kamander and am awaiting proper part to complete assembly of my Weber Summit E6.

Looking forward to seeing some of your E6 cooks.  After 10+ years of cooking on a BGE and Keg, I am absolutely loving my Summit Kamado and I am sure you will too.  So many cooking options on these things...."kamado" cooking with the charcoal down low, "kettle" cooking with the charcoal on the upper grate - the 24" grate opens up so many options...I love banking the charcoal on one side for a searing surface, and then using the other 2/3 for indirect.  And of course...it will smoke for hours and hours on a single load of lump or briquettes.

• 3 weeks later...

Waiting to receive my new Kamado Joe Classic III.....  I ordered it from the Kamado Joe website a few weeks ago but now I'm being told it won't be shipping until 9/2!!!  Living in MN makes that towards the end of prime grilling season.  Oh well, all the accessories I ordered have arrived so I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go!

Looking forward to learning all the techniques to utilize the Kamado to its fullest!

I'm a new Kamado Joe Pellet owner as of about a month. While new to the Joe, I've been cooking on Webers and open pits for about 50 years. I've got a problem which my dealer seems unable to solve. And it's been impossible to get any resolution from the manufacturer through what they call "customer support". My two problems relate to the drip pan. The first problem became evident from the first use - the pan was difficult to get in and out. That appeared to be because the pan had only three notches or cut-outs around the perimeter, with no notch in the front, so the grill support blocked easy removal / insertion of the pan. The user manual shows four notches.

The second problem surfaced the second time I used the Kamado, and is far more serious. My second use involved smoking a thick steak with a reverse sear at 500 degrees for about 3 - 5 minutes a side. The next day I noticed the drip pan had warped badly. Now grease pools and could spill away from the drain. The solution, I guess, is a replacement drip pan, if I could get one, but they and a lot of other parts seem to be backordered from China. Even then I wonder if a replacement pan will still have the 3 notches and warp the first time I increase the heat to sear.

I welcome any thoughts, suggestions, or workarounds. Thank you.

@Steve White

20210602_204733 (1).jpg

Here's my drip pan... it only has 3 notches and I don't have any issues getting it in and out.  What sort of problems are you having?  

As for the pan warping.. yea.. mine is warped a little too but its' not a show stopper.   They were gonna be upgrading that but I guess it hasnt' happened yet.

First, John, thanks for the prompt reply. I actually can get it in and out easier now that it's so badly warped but it used to be hard to maneuver it in such a way that it cleared the front grill support. Page 13 of the user manual appeared to show 3 notches, but I noticed in your demo that yours also has 3. The pan is warped so badly that it won't trap and drain grease. So what's the trick to getting a replacement? Yours looks much better than mine - want to swap? :-D Does the warping problem pretty much eliminate higher temperatures and searing?

56 minutes ago, Steve White said:

First, John, thanks for the prompt reply. I actually can get it in and out easier now that it's so badly warped but it used to be hard to maneuver it in such a way that it cleared the front grill support. Page 13 of the user manual appeared to show 3 notches, but I noticed in your demo that yours also has 3. The pan is warped so badly that it won't trap and drain grease. So what's the trick to getting a replacement? Yours looks much better than mine - want to swap? :-D Does the warping problem pretty much eliminate higher temperatures and searing?

I haven't had any issues with mine.  Here's what I know about it... Mine is warped but it WILL drain the grease.  Have you been unable to drain grease or are you assuming that it won't do it?  Most of the grease burns off and does not ever make it to the drain anyway.  The trick to getting a replacement is to file a warranty claim on the Kamado Joe website.  I can't tell you how long it might take to get it though.  Kamado Joe is, once again, having logistics issues between here and China.  KJ is not the only company having those problems and you will eventually hear about it in the news if you haven't already.  

My drip  pan is sufficiently warped that the grease pools up about 6" to the right of the drain after smoking baby back ribs last Monday. I have filed the claim, but the Kamado Joe folks seem uncertain when the part might show up. And, even if it shows up, will I have to avoid high temperatures and searing to prevent more warping?