NEW KAMADO OWNER?? START HERE!

John Setzler

8 hours ago, Loon said:

Thanks.  Should I contact them for a new 

Need some internals.  Fire grate etc.  Recommended sites?

I would go straight to Grill Dome for anything ceramic and it looks like they have spiffy new vent cap .As far as a fire grate goes, I no longer use one, and use a Kick Ash Basket instead. If it were mine I would contact Kickashbasket.com to see if they have a stainless basket that fits a Grill Dome. For cooking racks and such I like CeramicGrillStore.com , they make a rack called the AR that I think is the gold standard. They can tell you which size will fit a Grill Dome. (Grill Domes look like they have a taller dome with a ton of headroom.that I would want take advantage of) Have fun and happy cooking, that’s a nice grill.

On 8/6/2021 at 5:43 AM, keeperovdeflame said:

I would go straight to Grill Dome for anything ceramic and it looks like they have spiffy new vent cap .As far as a fire grate goes, I no longer use one, and use a Kick Ash Basket instead. If it were mine I would contact Kickashbasket.com to see if they have a stainless basket that fits a Grill Dome. For cooking racks and such I like CeramicGrillStore.com , they make a rack called the AR that I think is the gold standard. They can tell you which size will fit a Grill Dome. (Grill Domes look like they have a taller dome with a ton of headroom.that I would want take advantage of) Have fun and happy cooking, that’s a nice grill.

Cool.  The KAB assist with reusing charcoal or for cooling down only?  

4 minutes ago, Loon said:

Cool.  The KAB assist with reusing charcoal or for cooling down only?  

don't quite understand what you mean, I use my KAB on every cook I do, and yes all you need do to reuse 2nd burn charcoal is lift the basket and shake it to break up burnt pieces, and to  clear the dust and tiny pieces. I just fill the basket over the top and up past my air holes before every cook. I do use fresh lump prior to pizza cooks but every thing else I burn what is left in the basket and top it off to make a full load. 

2 hours ago, Loon said:

Thanks.  Exactly what I was getting at.  New to this type of grill so excuse my dumb questions;-)

Thanks 

No dumb questions my friend, I just didn't understand exactly what information you wanted. We all came to kamado cooking with only the experience we had from other types of grills and smokers, and since a kamado is a different beast than most  anything else out there we all, pretty much, start from 0. Join the club. Happy Cooking and enjoy your entry into kamado cooking. 

My experience so far with "Kamado" is that the key difference lies in how the grill is constructed, not what it is made of nor how much it costs.  (My "Akorn, Jr." is made of steel and cost about $200.) 

Within the insulated grill there is an inner lining which is surrounded by an air space.  So, what you wind up with is: "a charcoal-fired convection oven."  The food is cooked by recirculating hot air, not [just ...] the radiant heat from the fire.  You have extremely-accurate temperature control within the chamber, and you will usually find that most of your charcoal is left over at the end of the cook.  (Partly because, when you shut both vents, you immediately smother the fire, but also because the entire heating process is much more efficient.)

You can literally "park the temperature at 170ºF," then come back several hours later and the temperature is still ... "±170ºF!"  (Can your "Smokey Joe" do that?  No.)

I own a "toaster oven" which also has a convection "turbo" option that turns on a small fan.  I can personally attest that this makes an unexpected difference: cooking really does happen much faster, and much differently.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

First off just wanted to say thanks for the book John.  I have watched a lot of your videos and follow you on FB.  I am still very new at this type of grill.  I got a Kamado Joe Classic 1 for my birthday present this year.  It was a total surprise from my gf.  She knew I loved smoking but my smoker was reaching the end of life and it was just an electric smoker.  Don't get me wrong it was good but from what I have learned and read thus far about Kamado Joe its a lot better this way.  I am hoping to find answers to my questions as well has help for issues I am having or may have and to do the same for others.

Glad to have you and your Joe Classic with us Sdarosh. Your new Joe is a very versatile cooker. Actually, it is much more a charcoal fired convection oven than it is just another BBQ grill or Smoker. You can cook pretty much anything on a kamado that you can in a kitchen oven. Breads, Pies, Pizza, Braises, complicated recipes, along with all the BBQ classics. A new KJ classic is quite a birthday gift, I am thinking maybe, you shouldn't let that girlfriend get away:)

15 minutes ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Glad to have you and your Joe Classic with us Sdarosh. Your new Joe is a very versatile cooker. Actually, it is much more a charcoal fired convection oven than it is just another BBQ grill or Smoker. You can cook pretty much anything on a kamado that you can in a kitchen oven. Breads, Pies, Pizza, Braises, complicated recipes, along with all the BBQ classics. A new KJ classic is quite a birthday gift, I am thinking maybe, you shouldn't let that girlfriend get away:)

Yeah I don't plan on her getting away it was a long road to finally end up with her. But I already love the grill she got me and she got the slow roller for it as well cause I love smokers. Right now I'm having a hard time getting over 500. I am thinking about getting a basket instead of the plate that is in it currently as well as some other things as well and looking for any input and info. 

Brand new almost owner of a Monolith Kamodo grill. It is being shipped to my house as we speak. Initially just trying to get the lay of the land and advice, as this is my first Kamodo. I was looking at both the KJ and the Monolith. I live in Sicily, Italy, now so i decided to go with the german brand Monolith. I am super excited and i cant wait to learn from some of the best here and looking forward to sharing my experiences. 

• 2 months later...

Howdy All from South Carolina 

Just picked up an Akorn the other day. I'm an experienced smoker on offsets but I wanted something to expand my arsenal with grilling. Assembly was easy and I'm impressed with the quality over other Char Griller products. Seasoning went effortlessly and I tried an inaugural cook of chicken thighs..... I hate chicken, but my wife loves it. I will say that it was the best tasting chicken I have ever had from that grill, I always thought that yard bird was perpetually dry, but the kamado has changed my mind. I'm glad I got it. I'm looking forward to trying more cooks and different techniques with this grill.