NEW KAMADO OWNER?? START HERE!

John Setzler

1 hour ago, CheroCop said:

Howdy All from South Carolina 

I hate chicken, but my wife loves it. I will say that it was the best tasting chicken I have ever had from that grill, I always thought that yard bird was perpetually dry, but the kamado has changed my mind. 

Welcome CheroCop, glad to have you with us. Got to say your comment above is a  pretty common response from backyard chefs with experience on other grill types, following their 1st kamado chicken . Your new kamado is actually more of a charcoal fired convection oven than it is just another BBQ or Smoker. Due to its design and the way it operates a kamado provides a moist humid cooking environment rather than the dry environment provide in most other grill forms. My loving wife's comment upon the first taste of my first kamado chicken was "Yeah really, you cooked this all by yourself "(with the raised eyebrow sideways glance indicative of disbelief). I was actually pretty amazed myself, With out a doubt, 

the best chicken I had ever cooker after years and years of cooking countless chickens  on Weber Kettles and assorted gassers. Glad you are happy with your purchase . Enjoy your new grill and forum conversation as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody, Gomz619 here from San Diego, California.  Have been smoking for about two years have done quite a few racks of ribs, brisket (my favorite) and pork butts also.  Hopefull to learn some new techniques and better ways to fire up my grill.  I have a Pit Boss K24, I recently bought of Facebook marketplace.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/10/2021 at 2:30 PM, keeperovdeflame said:

No dumb questions my friend, I just didn't understand exactly what information you wanted. We all came to kamado cooking with only the experience we had from other types of grills and smokers, and since a kamado is a different beast than most  anything else out there we all, pretty much, start from 0. Join the club. Happy Cooking and enjoy your entry into kamado cooking. 

No luck with replacement GD firebox.  Where can I purchase a similar firebox for a standard L GD?  Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All - I just purchased a partially restored (I think) vintage Japanese Kamado, 18". The Firebox has a crack but is complete, and the cast iron vent top is missing, but everything else is there and in good condition. I smoked ribs the first night, and they came out excellent. Waiting on a deflector plate.

I bought it from a gentleman in his 60's whose father-in-law just passed. Supposedly, his FIL brought it back from Japan in the 60's.

Any help ID'ing this (or any other information you think is useful) would be greatly appreciated.

This is my first Kamado, so looking forward to learning from this site and all of you!

Cheers, Bill

IMG_4353.jpg

Edited by Bay Area Bill
Replacing .heic w/ .jpg

:welcome: Bay Area Bill.  That looks like it could be an old Imperial clay kamado.  It also looks to be in really good condition.  There are several members here who have restored old Japanese clay kamados and who have quite a bit of experience finding/substituting parts as well as cooking.  I suggest trying a search here using "Imperial kamado", "vintage kamado", "clay kamado restoration" or similar parameters.  I know there is a wealth of information available.

Good luck and happy cooking. 

Yeah, Jack's right that sure looks like  an old imperial. This guy, Augie, was involved in importing Japanese kamados in the 60's and 70's. He used to have replacement parts that fit. Don't really know if he still does,  but worth a try. Just a tip, word is,  the old clay kamados are delicate but do pretty well on moderate heat cooks below 450 dgs. If you want a kamado for high heat pizza, steaks, and such; the imperial, while a beautiful kamado, is not well suited to high heat cooks and the clay kettle probably won't hold up long  without cracking.  

http://kamadobbq.com

• 2 months later...

Greetings from Vermont (new member, first post),

Just acquired a first Kamado cooker after eyeing them for years. The first firing starts in a few hours. Filled with questions, the answers of which I'm sure are buried in these forums. Not the least of which is advice on which accessories are a must have and which are a waste of $$.

I purchased a Kamado Joe Classic I. The benefits of the Classic II and III were apparent but, Classic I is available locally for $499 and I found that an irresistible starting point for a beginner. Now where to post the questions...

:welcome: Grande.  You can post your questions regarding accessories in the Accessories and Product Reviews Section.  You may also find it saves time to use that Section to search the particular product you are considering; if you've got questions about it, the chances are good another member did, too, and already inquired.  Good luck, and Happy Cooking.