Primo XL Firebox cracking

DK45 mine has been cracked for years. I cooked on mine up until I heard George might sell which he did and I have not seen any drop off in support. I have had my new in box firebox stored in the garage about 9 months now.

If you have any cracking or distorsion on you castiron grate buy a new one when/if you file a firebox claim. Some go the KAB route I have not done it, do not see the need myself. Others swear by it.

Yes, cracked ceramic fire boxes from any kamado maker are a real thing.  My Primo XL firebox cracked maybe 5 or 6  years ago, I filed a claim and got a new one, it just took space in my garage until a few months ago when I built a new table and moved the Primo over, at that point I installed the new one but will repair the old one just in case.  The worst issue I have is the fire grate, they warp and crack, I have been through 2 of them and need a new one now.  Will probably get a custom grate from Ceramic Grill Store.

• 4 months later...
On 7/7/2020 at 12:19 PM, Vanole said:

DK45 mine has been cracked for years. I cooked on mine up until I heard George might sell which he did and I have not seen any drop off in support. I have had my new in box firebox stored in the garage about 9 months now.

If you have any cracking or distorsion on you castiron grate buy a new one when/if you file a firebox claim. Some go the KAB route I have not done it, do not see the need myself. Others swear by it.

What is KAB route?

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/primo-grill-accessories-oval-grills/products/primo-xl-stainless-kick-ash-basket-by-kick-ash-kab-ox

Available from the Ceramic Grill Store.  Makes cleanup easier and in MHO won't crack and swell like the grate and probably break your liner.  

KAB = Kick Ash Basket. (That abbreviation took me a while to figure out to!)

Order direct from @KickAshChad website. https://www.kickashbasket.com/Oval-XL-Kick-Ash-Basket_p_44.html

My Primo Junior has know gone thru a full split (into 2 pieces) twice. Primo warranty sent me a new one last fall. It cracked again this summer. They said they are changing the design, hopefully with a stress relief gap, and have been backed up on getting me a replacement.  They told me November... back in August. I don't have it yet, probably time to check in!

Both times mine was pinpointed to the Cast-iron firebox grate in the bottom being cracked that then expanded pushing against the firebox causing the cracks to start. Hence why the KAB is important, as you can get away without have to use the Cast Iron firebox grate. The KAB is also useful for many other reasons.

In the meantime I got this idea from someone on this thread and its been working perfectly for me. Use this make a clamp kit (link below) to secure the 2 halves together

https://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/plumbing-installation-repair/hose-clamps-pipe-support/breeze-trade-make-a-clamp-kit/4000/p-1468407189917-c-9424.htm?tid=8511207658231451680&ipos=1

@luebri hopefully after your first FB broke you replaced the cast iron grate. My first cast iron grate split and cracked the firebox. FB replaced under warranty still in box. Bought 2 new cast iron grates. Replaced the cast iron grate and still cooking with cracked FB. 

Have yet to convert to a KAB on any of my BGE's (4) or Primo XL (1). Just have not felt the need BUT I might not know what I am missing out on.

• 2 weeks later...

Like philpom, my Primo XL firebox cracked about 6 years ago.  I filed a claim, got a new firebox very quickly, and it's never been out of the box it was shipped in.  I've just kept cooking on the cracked one until it got so bad that it would not hold lump anymore--which has yet to happen.

No problems with the CI fire grate in mine, despite years of frequent low 'n slow as well as high heat cooks.  Maybe I'm just lucky.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2020 at 10:11 PM, Jack. said:

Like philpom, my Primo XL firebox cracked about 6 years ago.  I filed a claim, got a new firebox very quickly, and it's never been out of the box it was shipped in.  I've just kept cooking on the cracked one until it got so bad that it would not hold lump anymore--which has yet to happen.

No problems with the CI fire grate in mine, despite years of frequent low 'n slow as well as high heat cooks.  Maybe I'm just lucky.  

The cast iron fire grate in my BGE lasts and lasts, while I have seen posts of many others around the forum and on the EggHead forum cracking over time. I am wondering if our dry much less humid climate is the reason. Seems more humid zones get more of the brittle rust effect. Just thinking.