Primo XL Firebox cracking

DK45

1 hour ago, JPH 66 said:

I had a large big green egg for 10 years and NEVER EVER had an issue with my firebox. I have owned a Primo XL for less than two years and the firebox is already in two pieces. They want $75 to ship me another one - Primo is a joke, should have replaced my old GREEN EGG with another BIG GREEN EGG!!

You are just lucky then. I know tons of BGE owners who have had fireboxes crack.  Its common.  Not just with one brand or another, but all of them.  Some of the newer firebox designs with some manufacturers are much less prone to this problem.  

On 7/9/2020 at 8:47 PM, philpom said:

Yes, cracked ceramic fire boxes from any kamado maker are a real thing.  My Primo XL firebox cracked maybe 5 or 6  years ago, I filed a claim and got a new one, it just took space in my garage until a few months ago when I built a new table and moved the Primo over, at that point I installed the new one but will repair the old one just in case.  The worst issue I have is the fire grate, they warp and crack, I have been through 2 of them and need a new one now.  Will probably get a custom grate from Ceramic Grill Store.

On 12/2/2020 at 10:11 PM, Jack. said:

Like philpom, my Primo XL firebox cracked about 6 years ago.  I filed a claim, got a new firebox very quickly, and it's never been out of the box it was shipped in.  I've just kept cooking on the cracked one until it got so bad that it would not hold lump anymore--which has yet to happen.

No problems with the CI fire grate in mine, despite years of frequent low 'n slow as well as high heat cooks.  Maybe I'm just lucky.  

I'm STILL cooking on that cracked firebox.  I know it's annoying, especially after having spent so much money for a ceramic kamado, but as you can see from so many of the previous responses to this issue, it happens.  I guess Primo has changed their policy and now charges to ship.  But even at $75, you're getting what would otherwise be an expensive replacement that you may well never need. 

• 2 months later...

What a joke, they are requiring I buy a new grate for 75.00 plus 85.00 shipping and handling for the new grate to cover a lifetime warranty on the firebox.  It would appear they are not going to honor the lifetime warranty unless I pay a totally unreasonable shipping on a grate I can get on Amazon for 74.95 with free shipping.  Don’t buy a Primo that will bleed you for a warranty item.

The shipping charge is not for the firebox? This is the first time I have heard that they charged explicit shipping for the grate on top of the firebox.

It's always been my understanding with Primo warranty is that if the part is shipped to your local dealer = no shipping charges.  To your house you pay the shipping.  I believe your 85.00 is shipping for the firebox and fire grate.  Yes I've heard in the past about others having to purchase a new grate to have a warranty on the firebox.