Newbie with some Temp Questions

So just bought my first KJ Classic II.  Coming over from a Traeger. (Sold it) But was wondering how low of a temp can you achieve with the KJ without the fire going out.  I bout the FireBoard and fan system to go with it.  Delivery is tomorrow and want to get cooking.  First burn though is just going to be charcoal, no food.  Just messing with vents to see how it reacts to things.  In the mean time, I read and dream of all the delicious food that is to come..

Hi USFSSmokey - welcome to the family. I just got my first KJ about a month ago so I am just learning the Kamado's abilities. But, I can tell you I have done a Low & Slow at 225 for 6 hrs with no issues. Plus, I do not have a fan, so it was all done manually. I think I have seen on this site where the KJ was run at 175 for a long period of time.

This is a great grill and i think you will enjoy it tremendously.

Have fun. 

12 hours ago, USFSSmokey said:

So just bought my first KJ Classic II.  Coming over from a Traeger. (Sold it) But was wondering how low of a temp can you achieve with the KJ without the fire going out.  I bout the FireBoard and fan system to go with it.  Delivery is tomorrow and want to get cooking.  First burn though is just going to be charcoal, no food.  Just messing with vents to see how it reacts to things.  In the mean time, I read and dream of all the delicious food that is to come..

I had my classic 3 down to 175°F using the Fireboard 2 Drive the other day while I was playing around a bit.... Here's that data:

https://share.fireboard.io/E5BC2B

John,

Thanks for the heads up,  I bought the Fireboard 2 drive.  and Fan.  Just got the Kamado setup today. and I am about to do my first burn to mess around with it.  I have been watching your Youtube Videos and read your manual.  Great stuff.  Thanks again.

I've used a Heatermeter for controlling the grill. I would recommend you to learn to control the Kamado with out a controller first. I've had more than 1 power outage here and glad i knew how to control it manually. Hope you enjoy the grill waiting to see how you like it compared to the traeger.