SmallBBQr

Lump Charcoal Shortage

Anyone else noticed a dip/shortage in lump charcoal in your area?  Cannot find any more Kamado Joe here at any of the regular spots, and many other brands are also showing empty shelves. 

I definitely have noticed the same thing.  I can't find any lump charcoal at any stores around here, and places like Ace that sell online and ship to store all say out of stock too.  Can't even find bags of Cowboy or Royal Oak that are usually everywhere!

Yep, local stores seem to be out, maybe not exactly a shortage but lack of any sales I've noticed and I've been putting it off getting a big supply.  I went to Costco specifically for lump last week and surprised me they only had Cowboy and it was nearly 20$ a bag, no thanks.  Down to a bag and a half left, no good sales coming on I'm getting desperate and using the gasser more often.

I was at our local Costco a few days ago and saw a stack of El Diablo Mesquite lump in 40# bags for

~$13.00 - $14.00  per bag. It appeared to be about 2 pallets worth. I'll have to stop back and load up as I use

it all the time.

Edit: I noticed that over July 4th and Memorial Day there were few ads for Kingsford charcoal. The big box stores

usually sell two 18# bags for about $10 but this year, the prices were higher and not the bargain I usually see for

these weekends.

15 hours ago, KamadoChris said:

Yep, local stores seem to be out, maybe not exactly a shortage but lack of any sales I've noticed and I've been putting it off getting a big supply.  I went to Costco specifically for lump last week and surprised me they only had Cowboy and it was nearly 20$ a bag, no thanks.  Down to a bag and a half left, no good sales coming on I'm getting desperate and using the gasser more often.

With that said, the Cowboy is a 20 lb bag not the usual 17.6 lb (8 kg). I did the math and it is only about 10 cents/lb. more that the XYLO or other brands we usually get.

I bought 4 bags because I am seeing the same shortage as everyone else, although, the Ancaster Costco had lots the other day when I was there.

Beef/meat prices seem to be coming back down as well.

3 hours ago, Rick in Ontario said:

With that said, the Cowboy is a 20 lb bag not the usual 17.6 lb (8 kg). I did the math and it is only about 10 cents/lb. more that the XYLO or other brands we usually get.

I bought 4 bags because I am seeing the same shortage as everyone else, although, the Ancaster Costco had lots the other day when I was there.

Beef/meat prices seem to be coming back down as well.

I did compare this morning and saw it was a 20 pound bag - Not a terrible deal but I was buying natures own last and xylo last couple years for 13.99. I have not heard good things about Cowboy. Would be interested to hear your thoughts after you burn a bag. Thanks. 

I have used the same ones you have and am burning the Cowboy now, so far I am happy with it. It burns well.

I said no way when I saw the 17.99 price too but it is what it is.

Ace and Academy seem low...both carry B&B but I have not been able to get any locally at those stores (unless I want the mesquite at Academy).

Home Depot did have a decent amount of Royal Oak, so i bought to bags of it today as I was about out of the Cowboy.

I have not been super happy with cowboy...burns ok, but so many small chunks...looking for a bit more consistency size wise.

I've noticed similar. The big-box home warehouse stores nearby sporadically have Royal Oak or Cowboy but that is about it. I went to a Lowe's which always has the KJ  BB 20-lb bags but they were out and I went home with this Cowboy lump (desperate times and all). Aside from a bunch of tiny pieces and a lot of smoke on startup it was fine, no foreign objects or odd smells. I would get it again if there was nothing else available.

We've had better luck online. The wife snagged a 4-pack of 20-lb KJ BB on sale from Costco and I bought a 35-lb bag of FOGO Super Premium which has been great. I want to try a few other brands (like Jealous Devil) and this seems like a good time to do so.

Well this morning was disappointing. Realized I was down to my last bag of KJ. Went to Lowes hoping to pick up 3 bags, no lump of any kind in stock.

Picked up a bag of briquettes for now, and a couple bags of Pit Boss pellets for the Traeger.

Will check Home Depot later today.

13 hours ago, Number6 said:

The wife snagged a 4-pack of 20-lb KJ BB on sale from Costco . . .

I placed my order with Costco just before the sale ended (June 21?) and was backorded. Still waiting . . .

Shortage in my area...Ace, Home Depot, Lowes, all out. Even went to some local grocery stores but currently can't find any.