Lump Charcoal Shortage

SmallBBQr

How much is the current 4 bag special from costco? My membership isn't current so I can't see the price :(

My local HD had two pallets of Royal Oak. but I decided to pass and take this opportunity to try a couple of other things that I've not tried before (was not impressed with some RO I had bought some time ago and have been using mostly KJ and FOGO since).

Ace hardware has B&B available, and will try some Vision Grills Mesquite lump from HD.

2 hours ago, O C said:

How much is the current 4 bag special from costco? My membership isn't current so I can't see the price :(

My local HD had two pallets of Royal Oak. but I decided to pass and take this opportunity to try a couple of other things that I've not tried before (was not impressed with some RO I had bought some time ago and have been using mostly KJ and FOGO since).

Ace hardware has B&B available, and will try some Vision Grills Mesquite lump from HD.

4 20# bags KJ big block for $80

10 hours ago, daninpd said:

When people start hoarding popcorn.  Then Orville Redenbacher will come down from the sky, look around and say 'WTF".  Or Whiskey Tango Foxtrot if he had ever been in the military.

Orville Redenbacher was the only popcorn available at my grocery store yesterday.  :ph34r:

KJ Big Block comes from Argentina which is lock-down with Covid cases rising rapidly so not surprising supplies are limited, to non existent. Here in the UK supplies of locally produced lump are just starting to return to stores and eBay however the price is up 30% to what it was in February. We are now paying $59 for 66lbs (30Kg bags) of restaurant grade hardwood lump charcoal vs  $45 previously.

Royal Oak Lump is non-existent in Rochester NY. It has been for at least a month. I was able to pick some Frontier at Home Depot before Fathers's day. BJ's has 30lb. bags of Frontier. I've never had a problem before getting Royal Oak lump. Briquettes no issue.

The Academy near me was sold out of B&B Char Logs and briquettes when I tried to place my order.  Instead of Cowboy from Lowe’s, which I’m not a fan of,, I ordered some Fogo lump from their website.  The local Walmart had Kingsford Pro for $9/bag, so my wife picked me up two bags of it, so I’m set for a little while at least.

I forgot how much fun it is to visit our local Ace Hardware :) They have a really good grilling section.

They had plenty of B&B and Fogo, so I picked up three bags of the B&B.

And some new rubs to try (Bull City BBQ Poultry rub and Barbeque Provisions Tiki-Tiki Rub).

With three bags of the Vision Grills Mesquite lump coming tomorrow, plus I have 140 lbs of pellets, I should be set for a while now. Besides I don't have room to store anything more!

I probably should try to keep track of how much I use for how many cooks. I grill 3-5 days a week, switching between the Akorn and the Traeger. I have a pork butt on the Traeger today, but that's for my nephew's family who just welcomed a new baby this week, so I'll put some wings and thighs on the Akorn with the new rubs later today. Yummy Sunday :)

On 7/12/2020 at 11:47 AM, Old Red said:

I placed my order with Costco just before the sale ended (June 21?) and was backorded. Still waiting . . .

Four bags delivered yesterday. I says to the FedEx guy, "I hope that's my charcoal". He said he thought so; that it sounded like bags he delivered yesterday. Seems one of them opened up. He asked what do you use it for and commented that it looked like wood. We talked a minute about smoking and grilling. A young fella he was only familiar with turning on the gas to grill but did remember his father using 'black lumps' when he was a kid. 

On 7/10/2020 at 3:05 PM, KamadoChris said:

Yep, local stores seem to be out, maybe not exactly a shortage but lack of any sales I've noticed and I've been putting it off getting a big supply.  I went to Costco specifically for lump last week and surprised me they only had Cowboy and it was nearly 20$ a bag, no thanks.  Down to a bag and a half left, no good sales coming on I'm getting desperate and using the gasser more often.

Same situation at the Costco in Kitchener.  Locally, Lowes only had briquettes.  I gave up looking because I didn’t want to wait in line at HD or CTC.  Tripped over some Maple Leaf at a grocery in town so I bought an overpriced small bag.  Tried the same brand about two or three years ago and wasn't really impressed.  We will see how this bag goes.

E45EE88C-D367-4191-84AB-FA70308200BC.jpeg

Chris, I did find a guy in Ayr who sells Fogo Premium from his house if you are interested.  Will give him a call and confirm pricing and availability.  Let me know if you are interested.

Ordered some KJ BB 1-1/2 weeks ago from Costco on-line and wasn't sure they were going to honor it or just send an email saying they're out of stock but just got notice yesterday that it shipped.