Getting pizza dough onto pizza stone...having issues

Need some help from the KJ family... I have done about a dozen pizza's on my Big Joe and they taste great!  Using a local Pizza shop dough balls and have stretched them out and also rolled them out for thinner crust.  Here's my problem...I was rolling these or stretching on my granite counter and using plenty of flour and corn meal on the counter top.  I get the pizza's all dressed up and then have problems getting them up and off the countertop without disforming them.  I bought a large Big Green Egg pizza spatula and started building the pizza dough and toppings on it so I can just pick it up and go to the Joe.  That worked, but my biggest issue is getting the pizza to slide off the spatula and onto the pizza stone without making a mess and having the dough stick and bunch up.  I use plenty of corn meal on the spatula to slide it off, but no luck.  End up using a small spatula to get under the dough to help lift it up and  slide it off.  Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't.  Any advice on how to get the dough off the counter/spatula and onto the stone without messing up the pizza's nice round shape and size?  Thanks!

Try rice flour on the peel/paddle.

Don't press down on the base when you build the pizza - just use a very light pressure to spread the sauce and toppings.

If it does get stuck, lift up the side and blow under it. That will often free it - and also spread a little more flour under that part that was sticking.

Also - don't roll the dough. Learn to stretch it over the back of your hands using gravity.

You'll figure it out soon enough!

I am a complete fail at forming round pies, BUT had a dream about forming pizza dough (not kidding, I really did) and in the dream I used an inverted stainless steel mixing bowl.

Fill it with hot water to heat up the metal, than wipe the exterior with olive oil, place the dough ball on the inverted bowl and press down and gently mold the dough down the sides of the bowl.

The result is a perfectly round pie and you can stretch it out as thin as you want without tearing the dough.

The secret is never let the dough sit on the peel too long, keep it moving.  Use fine corn meal on the peel and get full coverage, then build the toppings on the peel, but after each step pick it up and give it a shake back and forth to keep the dough sliding around.  If it sticks somewhere gently lift the edge and throw some more corn meal under that spot until it loosens up and keep shaking.  Give it a good shake before you launch off the peel onto the stone, and do it with enthusiasm.  I've only thrown one pizza off the back side into the fire... 

Good advice from kamadochris there. Only thing Ive started to do different is to build the pizza on the bench then drag it onto the peel. This seems to work better for me but ymmv. 

Build the pizza on a well floured board. Don't roll it, as it rolls the air out of it. Form it with your hands. There are lots of good videos. Don't over build it with toppings. Then drag it onto a lightly floured peel. 

I form my pizzas slightly oval so that, when I drag them onto the peel, they stretch to a round shape.  

Minimum time on the peel will mean they slide off onto the stone. 

Chasdev - that's a hilarious dream, and very clever.  Much more useful than my dreams!  I think I'm leaving it on the peel (learned something new if that's what a big pizza spatula is called), it is metal, not wood and I'm probably leaving it on it to long as we added the toppings while sitting on it with the last 3 pies.  The idea of stretching it out on the parchment paper, then flipping it onto the stone and then adding toppings after it's on the stone might work.  Would have to be quick adding the sauce and toppings.  Practice, Practice, Practice.  Thanks for the ideas and comments.

Smoking salmon this weekend is next on the Big Joe to do list.

I use parchment paper. I trim it so only an inch sticks out all around then i use it to help rotate the pie

180 degrees( the back of my Joe gets hotter)  then remove it with a quick pull while  holding pie with peel. AS a precaution keep you thumb knuckle off the stone when turning the pie 

9 hours ago, len440 said:

I use parchment paper. I trim it so only an inch sticks out all around then i use it to help rotate the pie

180 degrees( the back of my Joe gets hotter)  then remove it with a quick pull while  holding pie with peel. AS a precaution keep you thumb knuckle off the stone when turning the pie 

I have taken a super lazy route and bought 12” round parchment paper sheets from amazon. 200 sheets for 14 bucks. Perfect size, since I shoot for ca. 12” pizzas

Parchment paper is fine, but it will char in a hot oven. Corn meal is my preference; I don't notice any burnt meal on my pies. Try what sounds good, and form your own opinion. 

There is a trick when it sticks. Use a large chef's knife to lift a few inches of the sticking edge and throw a little corn meal (or whatever you use) underneath. Then giggle it on the peal to see if there's more sticking. Time is not your friend here!

Stay well,

Frank

• 1 month later...