Wrap or Don't Wrap a Boston Butt

Is there a consensus in whether or not to wrap a Boston Butt with aluminum foil at around 160 or so?  Also, it seems any dome temp from 250 to 300 is acceptable.

I'm gonna remove the fat cap and place that side down.  Just wondering about wrapping or not wrapping with aluminum foil.

For me it depends on the method. I normally do the Aaron Franklin "Texas-style" pulled pork butt which is just a salt and pepper based rub and as much bark as you can get. Using a Kamado Joe I don't wrap unless I really need to speed up the cook because I want as much delicious crusty bark as possible. Agreed on the temps, most pork butts are pretty forgiving even at high heat. I've gone "hot and fast" at close to 400 when I was pressed for time and it came out great.

I assume the "VA" in your profile is Virginia. Not sure where in Virginia but I'm a fan of Dizzy Pig in Manassas, VA, it's worth a trip if you are close. Even if not you can still order rubs online and I haven't gone wrong with any of the recipes on their website yet, easy to follow when I was just starting out. Here is a link to their competition pork butt recipe.

Good luck.

I'm down near NC in the Blue Ridge Mountain.

But thanks for the advice.

I got John's Rub and Malcomb's rub and 2 butts.  Gonna do the mustard on both and do one with each rub.

Should be worthwhile.

I have successfully cooked boston butts between 190F and 400F.  Wrapping is a preference and its a requirement if you are cooking at hotter temps.  The 160 degree point is lazy.  Wrap it when your bark is set, which may not be at 160.

Your cooking results will always be better when your eyes are being used to judge the food.

I usually wrap mine with a cup or so of liquid, I use the liquid when i reheat pork for tacos or sandwiches. Like John says its a personal preference thing. The main thing is to do it like the song by Frank Sinatra  " I did it my way" and enjoy  it.