Juzz85

Can my kamado accept classic accessories?

Hi Guys, 

Bought this kamado joe 'large'. Wondering if I can get all the classic accessories in it? Example divide and conquer. 

IMG_20200719_124114.jpg

16 hours ago, len440 said:

Why would you want to put the smaller classic d&c system in the big joe?  Just curious 

I bought I bare. There was nothing in there but the fire box and ss grate. Was hoping to add the divide and conquer system. I don't think it's a big Joe. In Australia they have named it the kamado Joe large so just a little  curious which accessories it can accept. I know i should have done this research earlier but there is always limited stock on these over here so I jumped on the last one available :)

Cheers, 

Screenshot_20200721_140004_com.android.chrome.jpg

7 minutes ago, Juzz85 said:

18"

You have the Classic size, not the Big Joe (24" grate). Accessories like D&C will fit, but...

We need pictures of the inside. Might be something there that folks would notice that you need to know.

Stay well,

Frank

Large Joe? I guess this is what happens when a common language is separated by  several oceans. Plus some is my fault for not looking at your pic to hard. It does look like it is a classic Joe . The accessories for the classic should fit . My classic II is 22 inch outside dimension and about 19 on the inside , don't ask me to convert to centimetres my gray hair won't let me do that. The difference between the classic and the classic II is a 5 piece fire bowl the D&C and a new style hinge and plastic side tables..In your pic the back right wheel looks kind of funny or is just the pic angle? Any way welcome again and hope you enjoy the Kamado. Here is a something good to read. Looking forward to seeing your first cook

On 7/21/2020 at 9:53 PM, len440 said:

Large Joe? I guess this is what happens when a common language is separated by  several oceans. Plus some is my fault for not looking at your pic to hard. It does look like it is a classic Joe . The accessories for the classic should fit . My classic II is 22 inch outside dimension and about 19 on the inside , don't ask me to convert to centimetres my gray hair won't let me do that. The difference between the classic and the classic II is a 5 piece fire bowl the D&C and a new style hinge and plastic side tables..In your pic the back right wheel looks kind of funny or is just the pic angle? Any way welcome again and hope you enjoy the Kamado. Here is a something good to read. Looking forward to seeing your first cook

Hi Len, 

Thanks for the response, after a bit more research. It seems my version is a classic Joe and all accessories should fit. Now to find there is very limited stock in Australia and it's generally sold before it hits the shoreline anyway! 

I have decent tig welding skills so I should be able to custom build the D&C for the time being. In saying that, everything i have cooked on it so far has come out a treat and haven't really found the need anything else just yet (give it 3 months). Low and slow and really easy to control the temp. I can't express how impressed I am with the quality of the unit.  

The wheel does look a little out of spec but it was just the angle of the photo. And that Kamado book of knowledge...Wow! 

On 7/21/2020 at 2:08 PM, fbov said:

You have the Classic size, not the Big Joe (24" grate). Accessories like D&C will fit, but...

We need pictures of the inside. Might be something there that folks would notice that you need to know.

Stay well,

Frank

IMG_20200719_122456.jpg

Looks like the inside of my classic II just missing the Stainless steel ash collector and the grate. I had forgotten how hard it is to get stuff from here do to shipping My son in Okinawa has the same problem, sometimes when he buys on line he has a tear in his eye do to shipping costs. Anyway glad we got the grill size figured out , and keep using the "barbie" sorry  i just had to sat that. 

On 7/23/2020 at 10:15 AM, len440 said:

... classic II just missing the Stainless steel ash collector and the grate...

You may want to use an ash basket instead of the grate, but you really want the ash collector with shovel/fire screen. 

The round  ring accepts the ash collector from the top, which accepts a shovel-shaped drawer through the lower vent. The shovel makes it easy to remove ash, and the drawer has a fire screen that prevents embers from escaping through the lower vent. It's a very nice system you'll use all the time. Worth the effort to get it. 

Stay well,

Frank

Thanks guys, really appreciate the time taken for the feedback. 

I've done 2 cooks on it already, both reverse seared steaks. Haha, it's foolproof, had my dad around the other night while I did the second batch and he said it was the best steak he has had in 60 years. I cannot believe how easy these things hold heat. 

I'll certainly be buying plenty more accessories over time. 

Thanks again! 

Glad your dad like the world of Kamado cooking but it sounds like you set a high bar for the next cook. Sounds like your enjoying it  Need pics of your next steak

Look into a Kick Ash Basket or equivalent and then you won't need a grate.  Most who have added the basket do not use the grate anymore, so there may be a few floating around someone would be willing to send you if you decide to stick with the grate.