Kamado Joe Pro for Cheap?

FlyingCheese

Been hemming and hawing over a Big Joe 3 over the last couple months to replace a Primo that got destroyed during an unfortunate moving incident last year.  Paid a visit to the local grill store and I've got the opportunity to pick up a Big Joe Pro for the same price as a Big Joe 3, and get it now instead of waiting 1-3 months...

I'd been planning to put whatever I got into a table, so having a stand and attached side-tables is a non-issue for me. 

So my question is this:  is there any reason NOT to make this purchase?  I would not consider purchasing the Pro if I would be paying full price.  From what I can see, the only difference is the lack of stand and side tables, a few more shiny parts and about $1000.....

1 hour ago, John Setzler said:

Ask yourself if you want to fire up a grill that size every time you want to cook.  It's like buying a Ford F-350 because you got a deal on it but all you need to do is haul some groceries once a week.

That's a fair point, but I already grill 3-4 nights a week anyway, so I can't imagine it's that much more hassle?  Couple lumps of charcoal more here and there?  I'm content to sit and sip another beer while that tank of a grill heats up.  Overkill for two burgers? Dang right it is.

I think the selling point to me is having it now instead of whenever stock decides to show up, which I'm told could be well into September.

16 minutes ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

I often cook in high enough volume to 'almost' justify one. But, I'd hate to have to move that thing... 507lbs??? I don't think so. At least, not on this side of 50...

Zero plans to move it once a table gets built, so not too worried there.

4 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

I'd grab it if a Big Joe was on your radar anyway 

Be warned though, you'll probably end up grabbing a Joe JNR in the next 12 months for quicker cooks...

I'd settled 100% on a Big Joe already, but like I said, I can have this tomorrow vs. months from now.

Coming previously from a Primo Large, which was 300 sq. in. of cooking area - I always felt like I wanted something a little bit larger next go round.  Granted, this is....bigger....

I full agree that it's likely overkill, but I also don't think it's insanely unmanageable.  Again, if I was paying sticker there's no way I could justify this, but if it's the same price as the Big Joe....

Yeah, I was just referring to that initial move... lol

I've moved the Big Joe with just two people. Once, almost ripping off a ring finger in the process. Couldn't dream of attempting that with the Pro. Get plenty of help!!! I have no problems maxing out my Big Joe's, even with my reservations, I'd personally pull the trigger.

fullsizeoutput_649.thumb.jpeg.4bc06b6e9f9e210330db9c37e714b42e.jpeg

IMG_1043.thumb.JPG.00e0e461dc66869610f6b3c7fd36b956.JPG

image.thumb.png.fe8271bab129db372af19db3be050962.png

p.s.- I'd also heard that I be firing up a Joe Jr. instead of lighting the Big Joe for smaller cooks. Never happened. Held on to a Jr. for close to two years before I sold it unused to a cousin. Still fire up my BJ for everything.

Edited by CentralTexBBQ
added p.s.

Thanks for the feedback and pics, super helpful.  I personally never minded the wait time - it's perfect for drinking a beer and generally not doing what I do all day, which is sit at my desk in front of a couple screens with a phone attached to my ear.  

I'll keep the old Weber kettle around for good measure, but I don't think it'll come to that unless it's something like a couple hot dogs down by the pool...

I'd jump all over it!

I have a Jr, a Classic and a Big Joe.

Bought the Big Joe last and now rarely use the Classic and never used the Jr after the first six months, until very recently.

I brought the Jr with me when I came to Italy earlier this year, but I'm wishing I would have brought the Classic.

1 hour ago, Rick in Ontario said:

You can always use a firebox divider unless you need to do a big cook. I am single so I use one in my classic most of the time for the same reason not wanting to fire up too much charcoal when cooking just for me.

True. I was told that when buying the BJ as well. After installing and uninstalling a couple of times in the first year, it has sat in my garage since. My BJ II has never seen the divider in the fire basket.

19 hours ago, CentralTexBBQ said:

True. I was told that when buying the BJ as well. After installing and uninstalling a couple of times in the first year, it has sat in my garage since. My BJ II has never seen the divider in the fire basket.

I tried the divider once in my BJ as well.  I don't even know where it is anymore.

I'll load the fire box up anytime it gets about half empty.  I'll stir around the lump to knock ash off and clear the grate before a burn.If I'm "wasting" lump, I'm not aware of it.