Fourth of July Chuck Roast

Four pound chuck roast. Smoked on the KJ Classic II with some hickory. Rubbed with salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic. Went for about 4 hours at 225-250 and stalled at around 155 internal.  Let it sit there for about 30 minutes, but got impatient and wrapped with butcher paper. Went for another 1.5 hour and it was up to 180. Would have liked to let it go for about another hour to get it close to 200, but people were getting hungry.  Served on potato buns with grilled onions and homemade horseradish-cream sauce. 

IMG_2623.jpg

IMG_2624.jpg

You forgot one important item how did the people like it?  I have wrapped mine in foil with beef stock and placed in oven at 300 to speed up cook plus i have some great juice to add to my beef stew with leftovers the next day

It was delicious, but not quite as tender as I would have liked. It wasn't tough by any means, but another hour or so would have really helped.  I was the least happy with it.  My father-in-law actually thanked my wife for buying the smoker he liked it so much.  I'm gonna do another one this weekend.  Practice makes perfect...

I usually take mine to 195ish, because i find that 200+ is good for shredded beef. I like the slices with a bit of chew for sandwiches. Also, stopping at 195 means i can cube it to make burnt ends-adjacent type food, which if you go to far, you wont be able to get good cubes