So I am currently smoking a 9.5lb Boston Butt for dinner and I’m using my FireBoard 2.  Them temp gauge is set up on the grill and is riding at a nice 275.  But looking at the Dome gauge on the  Kamado Joe its showing 350.  What temp should I be going off of.  I know my dome gauge is off by 10 degrees.  Should I lower my grill temp to like 250 to compensate for the dome temp being higher? Or just let it ride and trust the grill temp gauge?

E0F8DB1F-2EEA-4FC0-A6ED-7A86C1EE2E63.png

Just now, John Setzler said:

@USFSSmokey

At the top of this forum section, there is a pinned post you should have a look at...

Go by your dome temperature.

I just saw that.  Ive been reading it.  Slowly loosing my mind LOL hopefully this butt doesn’t turn out like crap.  I have been over cooking it according to the Dome temp for the last two hours.  :( I put the brakes on it now to get it down to 275 on the dome.  Hopefully I can save my cook.  Fingers crossed

Just now, USFSSmokey said:

I just saw that.  Ive been reading it.  Slowly loosing my mind LOL hopefully this butt doesn’t turn out like crap.  I have been over cooking it according to the Dome temp for the last two hours.  :( I put the brakes on it now to get it down to 275 on the dome.  Hopefully I can save my cook.  Fingers crossed

You aren't overcooking it.  I normally cook mine at 300F and have cooked them as high as 400F.  You can't mess up a butt by using a wrong cooking temp.  All you can do is over or under cook it.  You are gonna be fine :)

25 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

You aren't overcooking it.  I normally cook mine at 300F and have cooked them as high as 400F.  You can't mess up a butt by using a wrong cooking temp.  All you can do is over or under cook it.  You are gonna be fine :)

So I ended up moving my prob to the outside of the grill and closed the top vent a little. Now the dome temp and grill temp are a lot closer to each other.  I have a cake pan underneath the butt filled with apple juice and I’m spraying it every two hours. I also have a meat thermometer inside to make sure I don’t go over my 165 degree trigger point to wrap my butt in foil.   I’m dorking out on this way to much but I strive for perfection when I can. I used to be a bbq cook in California specializing in Santa Maria Style bbq.  I don’t do that anymore but I get to cook amazing stuff for my family at home. 

You may be surprised when you recheck your dome thermometer.   I checked mine at initial purchase and adjusted with boiling water and after a few cooks it was off by 70 degrees.  70 degrees too low.

Now I know why I had all those overcooks...LOL

Most of the butt cooks I have done lately have been at 250f and I let them run overnight.  No wrap... no fuss... just good pulled pork in the end.  I need to do one more this coming week at some point and then I'll be done cooking butts for a while :)

3 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

Most of the butt cooks I have done lately have been at 250f and I let them run overnight.  No wrap... no fuss... just good pulled pork in the end.  I need to do one more this coming week at some point and then I'll be done cooking butts for a while :)

I have watched a couple of your Butt Rubs.  Which one did you use?  Do you have a favorite now?

8 minutes ago, Gebo said:

I have watched a couple of your Butt Rubs.  Which one did you use?  Do you have a favorite now?

My current GO-TO rubs are the Man Cave Meals "Mojo" rubs.  These are my recipes:

https://atlantagrillcompany.com/collections/atlanta-grill-company-rubs/man-cave-meals?grid_list=grid-view

The AP is a seasoning more than a rub.  It's a salt/pepper/garlic blend with some extra goodies in it.  The Pork Mojo is a great pork rub and the Beef Mojo is a great beef rub.  Recently, I have stumbled into a blend of these that seems to work really well on any meat I put it on though... I have been mixing the AP and the PORK MOJO 50/50 and using it on beef and pork with some great results.  

7 hours ago, John Setzler said:

So , just pulled it off and let it rest for two hours.  Came out amazing.  Threw it on some Hawaiian Rolls with some coleslaw.  MMMMM good.

On 7/25/2020 at 3:14 PM, John Setzler said:

My current GO-TO rubs are the Man Cave Meals "Mojo" rubs.  These are my recipes:

https://atlantagrillcompany.com/collections/atlanta-grill-company-rubs/man-cave-meals?grid_list=grid-view

The AP is a seasoning more than a rub.  It's a salt/pepper/garlic blend with some extra goodies in it.  The Pork Mojo is a great pork rub and the Beef Mojo is a great beef rub.  Recently, I have stumbled into a blend of these that seems to work really well on any meat I put it on though... I have been mixing the AP and the PORK MOJO 50/50 and using it on beef and pork with some great results.  

Doggone, MSG not good for my family.  I was hoping you had a few rubs you made yourself.

4 hours ago, Gebo said:

Doggone, MSG not good for my family.  I was hoping you had a few rubs you made yourself.

I made those myself.  

Here's a basic rub recipe that will be good on anything you want to use it on:

1 cup kosher salt

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup paprika

1/4 cup onion powder

2 tablespoons black pepper

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

and if it was MINE, I'd put about a half teaspoon of MSG in it...