luca591

Wireless thermometer recommendations?

Hi everyone. I had a Maverick et-732 for many years as well as another 2 probe setup called igrill.  The Maverick et-732 was my go to for many years.

I've been on a Kamado hiatus for the last couple years as my original 2013 chargriller akorn started to rust out and eventually made it to the dump. I've been eyeing Kamado Joe for a while but wasn't ready to the pull the trigger in the past as good deals like the $719 Kamado Joe ii Amazon sale of Nov 2019 passed me by. I was hoping for the Atalanta grill June sale to get one at a decent price but I didn't see any sales thear until the beginning of July when n BJs had the KJ original for $499. A store nearby had some in stock and wa able to get one.  Ive done a few pizzas, indirect and direct heat cooks on the new KJ buy this past week was my first low and slow. I did a picnic shoulder that I got cheap. When I went to get my Maverick et-732 setup,  the grill probe hub wouldn't work. I tried new batteries and still no good. One of the batteries that sat in there for the last year's was oozing and rotted out the negative terminal on one battery.

So long story short I'm in the market for a new wireless dial probe setup. I mentioned that igrill above. It was flaky on the Bluetooth but allowed you to export the temp reading to CSV and could email them. Made nice charts with that data. 

Is the et-732 still good,? I've seen those all wireless probes but don't mind wires.  What does everyone use now days for a ,2 probe setup,?

TIA

I have a et-732 and I'm quite happy with it.  300 foot range for the pocket size remote is plenty for me.  When I was shopping I saw other units with up to 4 probes, but 2 works fine.

25 minutes ago, daninpd said:

I have a et-732 and I'm quite happy with it.  300 foot range for the pocket size remote is plenty for me.  When I was shopping I saw other units with up to 4 probes, but 2 works fine.

Thanks for the input. I liked my et-732 alot but wasnt sure if there were any new kids ok the block. Does the Maverick have that ability to record/store data?

If you don't mind me asking, how much was it when you got yours? I used to keep track of price and would see them on sale for $35-40 sometimes. 

I have a Thermo Pro TP-20, but it it isn't wireless if that is what you are looking for.   I'm happy with it.

I have been using Maverick remote thermometers for probably 20 years now and they have always been very good. Limited wireless range, but the new ones are probably much better.

If you can afford the not cheap investment, these days I would recommend getting the Fireboard 2 unit. Even just as thermometer, it's in a different league with wifi connectivity, data logging, 6 channels, nice big screen etc, etc....

As an added bonus, if you get the "Drive" version (yes more money) you can also control a fan for the ultimate in high precision remote smoker control.

Lots more money than just buying another Maverick, but a real game changer.

I also used an ET-732 for several years. I never replaced the batteries, but went through many probes. I found the package unreliable for my application.

I have not had those issues with a Thermoworks Smoke, and now have a second unit. All original probes still work well. Thermoworks makes some of the top food service gear and offers a wide product range. Thermopop is my standard because I'm too cheap to get a Thermapen.  

Stay well,

Frank

6 hours ago, fbov said:

Thermopop is my standard because I'm too cheap to get a Thermapen.  

Stay well,

Frank

Come on, man, don't brand frugality as "cheap".  Frugal:  simple and plain and costing little 

ThermoWorks smoke is a good alternative. It’s a 2-probe unit. They also make a 4-probe unit, but I forget the product name. 

I saw a blue smoke bbq thermometer on amazon recently. I don’t know much about it but it’s quite a bit less expensive than the ThermoWorks devices. 

the maverick is, of course, a solid unit. 

I know this will be against the grain here  but I hated the Maverick ET733 I had. I found it very challenging to get set up for a cook every time I used it. I did not find it intuitive to use. My buddy has one and he says the same thing.

I gave it away and bought a Thermoworks Smoke and it was like dying and going to heaven. It is so easy to set up.

I guess you could say that the Thermoworks is idiot proof since I can operate it without struggling.

With that said, the Thermoworks Smoke is and has been very good for me and probably all I really need, I really like the Fireboard 2 Drive with blower concept.

If I was buying today I probably would go for that one and I still might just because.

I have an Inkbird IBT-4XS https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Wireless-Thermometer-Grilling-Rechargeable/dp/B076QDC5VL/ref=sr_1_5?crid=B1B2CSVFI99T&dchild=1&keywords=inkbird+thermometers&qid=1596130784&sprefix=inkbird%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-5 and it has been excellent for me. I could never get my Maveric to work inside my house, large all brick building and I ended up giving it to a friend. This Inkbird is Bluetooth but the range is great. I can have it at the grill and it reaches upstairs, at the other end of my house, without any problems. They have a newer version,  https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Waterproof-Bluetooth-Thermometer-Rechargeable/dp/B07WXQWD3Y/ref=sr_1_10?crid=B1B2CSVFI99T&dchild=1&keywords=inkbird+thermometers&qid=1596131048&sprefix=inkbird%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-10 that is waterproof that I just got as a Birthday present for my son. They also have a new WiFi version but I don't know anything about it.