MikeRobinson

"The Akorn-Maverick question:" Does Ceramic really matter?

For what its worth, as someone who currently has 2 ceramic Kamados, if i could have my time again, I would have picked up the Weber Summit Charcoal over my Big Joe 2 

As nice as the Big Joe is, The advantages of a ceramic cooker are not offset by the weight and fragility of them given what is currently available in the market 

Once you factor in add ons like Pit Controllers, the thermal stability of a large ceramic cooker is almost redundant for the average cook.

I'm not a huge fan of the Akorn Kamado due to a few areas I consider design flaws, but as its a cooker largely built to a specific price point, this is not unexpected.

The Blaze Kamado looks very interesting, but i doubt I'll ever see one, let alone cook in one.

3 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

.<snip> If i could have my time again, I would have picked up the Weber Summit Charcoal...<snip>

Yup, I've been thinking about what my next grill would be and then Weber Summit is certainly a top contender.  I've also been heavily drawn to the PK as well...  No where near as efficient, but seems like a grill I would really enjoy using.

FWIW...and I don't claim to be an expert much less  a heavy user like some here...I had a LBGE and an Akorn simultaneously.  After several butts and multiple pizzas on both as well as a brisket or two  and several racks of ribs, all of which turned out pretty well, I gifted my son-in-law the LBGE (I got it as a gift and put $500+ into it). 

I like my Akorn with all its flaws --it cooks well and shows no signs of rust after three (? this is the third summer) years. I'd buy another before I would pay $2k for something that can (and does) break, repeatedly...and often for no apparent reason.

Just my opinion...YMMV