pmillen

Masterbuilt REQUIRES a Sales Receipt for Registration

I went to the Masterbuilt web site to register my purchase and found that they required a copy of my sales receipt.  I couldn't provide one since I had turned down a receipt when I bought it.

I filled out their Customer Support document with these comments, "When I bought my Gravity Series 1050 a week ago, I told the cashier that I didn't need a Credit Card receipt. But I see that I need one to register it.  Do I have an alternative?"

On Monday, July 13, 2020 I received this reply (in part), "Thank you for contacting Masterbuilt Customer Support.  Case #: 146267 has been created for you.  A member of our Masterbuilt Customer Support Team will respond to your case within 5 business days."

It will be two weeks tomorrow.  I'm thinking that they are probably not going to reply further.

I thought that I should remind you Masterbuilt buyers to obtain and retain your sales receipt.

Whatdyaknow!  Masterbuilt CS replied this morning (July 28).  "Thank you for contacting Masterbuilt Customer Service and I apologize for the delay in someone getting in touch with you. We have to have a copy of the proof of purchase for your Gravity Series Grill in order to both complete the registration for it and as well as for the one year manufacture's warranty."

@John Setzler, do I have you to thank for generating the reply?

2 hours ago, pmillen said:

Whatdyaknow!  Masterbuilt CS replied this morning (July 28).  "Thank you for contacting Masterbuilt Customer Service and I apologize for the delay in someone getting in touch with you. We have to have a copy of the proof of purchase for your Gravity Series Grill in order to both complete the registration for it and as well as for the one year manufacture's warranty."

@John Setzler, do I have you to thank for generating the reply?

No... lol.  I had no part in it.  I have quit communicating directly with KJ/Masterbuilt unless the have reached out to me for some reason.  

Were you able to generate a receipt?  The store where you bought it may be able to provide that still if you ask them...

That's unfortunate to say the least. Does your credit card offer warranty coverage or extended coverage on purchases by any chance? I wonder if your place of purchase could help you out based on a copy of your credit card statement or even their records based on your approximate date and time of purchase. It's not like the thing is 2, 3 years old. It was obviously manufactured this year.

Best of Luck

I was willing to jump through a hoop as an alternative to having the required receipt.  I thought maybe something like a statement from the retailer along with my CC bill.  But—it's the Golden Rule.  Those with the gold, rule.

I wonder how they think I was to know, or the average buyer is to know that the receipt is essential.  These units are sold in the biggest of the big box stores.  They can't expect every cashier or clerk to know their rule.

Kamado Joe used to have more friendly policies about taking care of their customers.  I don't believe Masterbuilt is anywhere near as customer friendly when it comes to warranty or customer service in general.  

Posted (edited)

I wonder how they think I was to know, or the average buyer is to know that the receipt is essential.  These units are sold in the biggest of the big box stores.  They can't expect every cashier or clerk to know their rule.

They don't want you to know or train the $12 an hour cashier to instruct you.  Weeding out people that don't know to save a receipt narrows their warranty issues.  The receipt for my KJ is stapled inside the little booklet of instructions and warranty that comes with it....just in case.  So you kicked yourself to the curb, by their rules.

Edited by daninpd
"y"

I don't ask for or keep receipts on the vast majority of my purchases, but I can't think of a reason why I wouldn't get one on a purchase like this. I'm not saying that MB is right, but why would you not get a receipt?

13 hours ago, DrunkenMeatFist said:

why would you not get a receipt?

As you can probably surmise, I didn't consider it essential.  Most receipts go directly to the trash.  It's never before been an issue in registering or a warranty claim.

Most of those receipts fade in less than a year.  So if you're going to retain it you probably should retain an image.

As you can probably surmise, I didn't consider it essential.  Most receipts go directly to the trash.  It's never before been an issue in registering or a warranty claim.

Most of those receipts fade in less than a year.  So if you're going to retain it you probably should retain an image.

Will the retailer not provide you with a receipt copy?

39 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

Will the retailer not provide you with a receipt copy?

I phoned.  The person answering said they don't know of a way to do it.

I phoned.  The person answering said they don't know of a way to do it.

I figured you would have been aware of the need for a receipt based on all the conversation about masterbuilt and kamado joe both requiring proof of purchase before they will even talk to you these days...

2 hours ago, John Setzler said:

I figured you would have been aware of the need for a receipt based on all the conversation about masterbuilt and kamado joe both requiring proof of purchase before they will even talk to you these days...

1.  I may not have read those threads.

2.  I'm slow-witted and it didn't "take".

I tossed out my receipt on purpose, no way would Masterbuilt be willing to pay freight in case mine was a lemon and I knew that going in.

Besides, the thermal printer receipt I had would go blank in a few months even in a dark drawer.

If I do care about warranty stuff I always take pictures of the receipts.