While this video is entertaining, it also demonstrates a very important safety factor to be learned when using your Kamado grills. In this video, they are working at very high temperatures. This type of flash, however, does not require extreme temperatures to happen. There are other circumstances that can cause it as well.

In my humble opinion, anytime you are using your kamado grill at temperatures above 375 degrees, you should BURP your kamado before opening the lid. To do this, all you need to do is lift the lid a half inch to an inch for a couple seconds to prevent this from happening.

I have experienced rather ugly episodes of flash as low as 400 degrees at the dome temperature. This happened after I cooked a boston butt without using a drip pan. After my butt came off the grill, I decided to run the temp up a good bit to burn off all the drippings, which creates a TON of white smoke when you do it. When that white smoke is boiling out of your grill vent, BE CAREFUL when you open the lid. The quick influx of air will cause that smoke to ignite rather violently.

Cheers and safe grilling to everyone!

Thanks to The Naked Whiz for making this video...

In the original video at first he could not get it to flash. In the end he found that lump that has a lot of volatile gas because they did not burn it out in making the charcoal was the best to use to get a flash over.

With some brads he could not get it to do it--- at all.

John I had not thought about that white grease smoke from a burn off. You bring up a very good point. Thankfully I have never opened the dome when that was coming out of the Kamado. Wow that flash would give you a huge burn before you could even let go of the handle. I have seen an over heated cast iron skillet burst into flames when the the lid was taken off of heated oil.

Great vid and so important because it truly shows the what kind of damage this can do. One big point is to pay attention to what is going on. It is very easy to walk away and get distracted to come back and find your grill running high temps and open the lid in a panic without thinking.

+1 on the production on the video.

Ive done this :oops:

Were you hurt? i sure hope not.

No I fried my gaskets as I indicated in another thread.. Could not believe the fire ball it was dark out.. As I said in that thread, if it were during the talk with N Korea, homeland security would have showed up.. :?

But in all reality looking back.. It is scary.. If I did not have cat like reflexes :P

i believe i had this happen but the lid shielded my face from getting burned. i was burning off the grates at 500, had a huge inferno blazing then closed the lid and shut the vents. a minute later i opened the lid to view all the fire out but as i shut the lid again there was a loud pop as everything ignited in a flash and flames shout out the 8" from underneath the lid as it closed. no injury but was close.

• 1 month later...

I just kept thinking that me spending 15 minutes working on a new topic on the forum seems lot of work. Holy Moly that vid must have taken a LOT of time and work. I enjoyed it ( if a bit tedious with all that typing...) butAmazing work JM