milehi

Hello from Vail

Hello, from Colorado! I ave been a fan from afar, with have friends who have encouraged me to get into this realm, and I have read the BoK front to back.

I sold my Weber Ranch Kettle (37" unit) recently and have been on the search for a KJ since. I finally found a deal I could not pass up (very nice black Classic) on craigslist, so took the plunge.

Vail is a bit elevated, altitude 8,022 feet (2,445 m), already aware of the impact on gas grilling, so will now venture into the Kamado charcoal world.

Looks like a great site with abundant resources!

Welcome Milehi  I cant say for sure but the 8000 feet may effect the vent settings.I'm assuming the book you read is John's Kamado book on this website? If isn't i highly recommend it. Good luck 

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your new-to-you grill!  No advise on high altitude grilling, living in FL all of my experience is pretty close to sea level.

I'm originally from Denver, but never had a kamado grill until I was in Northern KY for 13 years. I would suggest that you just start cooking and work with the vent settings to see what size opening it takes to get the temperature that you want.

So the first cook...  went pretty well!

The meat went on at 650°, 3 minutes each side, closed all vents, 2 minutes for asparagus as the meat was, you know, resting, and I was finishing my Laws 6-year rye old fashioned...   

Huge assist from my buddy Pete in Boston, 2,000 miles away, offering loads of advice and encouragement!

1source.jpg 2pre-cook.jpg 3ash.jpg

4controltower.jpg 5asparagus.jpg 6plated.jpg

7cut-steak.jpg 

First cook looks great and tasty  loved the shot in the  fire box. Old fashion nectar from the gods. I found that a couple fingers of Makers bourbon is how long it takes to light the grill and get it settled. Grilling is relaxing.