KJKiley

SloRoller Chicken and Pineapple

So this finally happened today (just a few days short of 6 weeks). 

image.png.fde9b2ff2dd0cbff754bb84b0daa55da.png 

Since we’re rapidly running out of month, the inaugural cook also happens to be for the Five Ingredient Challenge.  I was inspired by John Setzler’s SloRoller chicken video so I opted for that method.

Ingredients:

Whole chicken

Pineapple

Red pepper

Vidalia onion

Honey

Wayward Gourmet Applewood Smoked BBQ Awesomeness

Salt & Pepper

Olive Oil

image.png.52417308600561038f1aa08261f6046f.png

I did a dry brine on the chicken the night prior.

Finally fired up the grill and set it for 375.  I swapped sides at about the 35 minute point and bumped the temp up to 425, checked on them after an hour and reduced the temp to 400.  Pulled both at about 80-85 minutes.

image.png.7be197797f1a988865a60f8610ed5790.png

Slow roasted the veggies with some salt & pepper and olive oil in the oven at 350, and finished on the grill.

True to John’s video, the chicken skin was crispy and the chicken super moist.  My wife’s assessment was ‘the best chicken I’ve ever cooked’ so I consider the first round (of many) a success.

image.png.febf482e703845f0849755c7a3fde791.png

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Tracksoup
      Hey everyone. Call me Tracksoup. I'm an avid outdoorsman who enjoys hunting and fishing, its a great to know that I've played a part in putting food on the table.  

A few years ago I saw a BGE and became intrigued with the Kamado cooker. I could never bring myself to spend the $$$ to replace my propane BBQ with a kamado. But after months of saving my pennies to buy a motorcycle, my wife decided that she really didn't want me riding anymore, so I decided this was my opportunity to buy myself a Kamado grill. I did a lot of reading and research about the different kamado grills available (within a reasonable distance from where I live) and made the decision to buy myself a Vision Grills Pro S grill back in April 2020 & I couldn't be happier with my decision to go Kamado.

Up until now, my only BBQ experience was a propane grill & although I've got a health appetite, the flavour of the food was 'ho-hum'. Since I got my Vision grill, I've grilled everything from venison steaks & burgers, pork sausages, chicken breasts and thighs, I've smoked pork spare ribs and even a low & slow moose roast, there is so much more flavour in the food now & I'm cooking on my kamado way more often than I ever did with the propane BBQ. This thing is awesome!!! 

While looking for info & tips to familiarize myself with this wonderful cooker, I found Kamadoguru.com about mid-June. There is so much info on this forum & I am enjoying reading through the pages 

• By pmillen
      Ingredients
      2 Chicken half breasts cut into ½-inch strips
      Marinade Ingredients
      1½ Tablespoon of Italian Fusion Seasoning
      1 Cup of garlic infused extra virgin olive oil
      ¼ Cup of balsamic vinegar

Directions
      1.  Marinate the chicken strips for at least an hour (longer is fine)
      2.  Preheat the Masterbuilt 1050 to 400° with apple chunks in the ash basket for smoke.
      3.  Grill on Frog Mats until the internal temperature is 160°
      4.  Flip after 8 minutes
      5.  I grilled for 16 minutes and the IT was slightly over 160°

Note:
      The 1050 registered 400° but my Fireboard, with the temperature probe within an inch of the Masterbuilt’s probe, but close to and pointed at the cold food, registered closer to 360-365°.

• By John Setzler
      Which temperature controller do you like?   Greetings Man Cave Family and welcome to a new week... It's a holiday week so my personal intent is to be fairly lazy this week. The new FireBoard 2 Drive that I bought from Atlanta Grill Company arrived on Sunday so I have been playing around and experimenting with that a little yesterday and today. I have had the original FireBoard for a while and can see some significant improvements in this one compared to the original.   The two significant improvements I see right off the bat are the heft/durability of the control unit and the heft/durability of the fan. The main reason I didn't like the original FireBoard was because you needed to spend an extra $55 to get the weatherproof case that was NEEDED for more than just weatherproofing. The original FireBoard was just too small and lightweight to connect temperature probes and have it sit where you put it without having to deal with it falling, moving, and ending up somewhere else on its own. This new control unit is larger and heavier with a pseudo-rubberized case that will help it stay in place wherever you choose to set it.   The FireBoard is the 'my precious' for the OCD griller. I think out of all the controllers I have, THIS one has the most bells and whistles in terms of showing you the data. The FireBoard can monitor six different temperature probes at once. For those six probes, it can show you the current temp, peak high, peak low, and average via actual numbers or through a graph display. You also have the ability to set conditional temperature alarms on each probe. The alarms can be configured to sound on the device itself, through the app, email, or text messaging. The FireBoard also gives you the ability to set additional conditions on those alerts being sounded such as a wait period before sending the alert and how often to repeat the alert. You have the ability to put a name label on each probe so you can know what that probe is doing just by its name in the app. All of this data is accessible via the app or through a web browser. You also have full control of the device through either of those methods.   The FireBoard Drive 2 has an internal rechargeable battery that gets charged via a provided USB-C cable and AC adapter. This gives you the ability to run your device without having to drag a power cable to the grill. You can also power the device with a USB battery connected via that same USB-C port on the device. The USB-C cable that comes in the package has the standard male USB-C connector on both ends. That's gonna keep you from using that cable without an adapter to run the FireBoard from a battery. You will need a different cable or an adapter to make that process work unless you have a USB battery that has a USB-C output.   One of my favorite features with the FireBoard is the ability to set the maximum fan speed from the app. The FireBoard fan is a 20cfm fan. That's nice if you have a huge smoker. I'm mostly a Kamado grill guy. Even with the larger Kamado grills, you just never need 20cfm of fan output to get the job done. During my testing so far, I have used the app to set my fan to run no faster than 20% of it's maximum speed. So I'm really maxing my fan out at about 4cfm. It's working perfectly as you can see in the graph samples I have attached here. Making the controller stable on a Kamado is also dependent on having the top vent set properly, and that just comes from experience.   Every cook session you create with the FireBoard is saved in the cloud and accessible via the app or web browser. You can go back and review the data from those cooks very simply. You can also delete those sessions from the cloud on a one-by-one basis if you choose.   The DRIVE PROGRAMS in the FireBoard app are also quite useful. You can create multi-stage cooks where your cooking parameters change based on time or temperature readings. For example, You can create a program that will run your grill at a specific temperature and and then change the temperature after a specified amount of time OR when one of your meat probes reaches a certain temperature. I haven't played with these settings very much yet, but I have used similar programming on my pellet grill.   So, as you can see, I like a lot of things about the FireBoard. There are, however, two specific things I would love to see improved.   #1 - I want to be able to configure my set temps for the pit and the meat probes directly from the device itself without the use of the app. I personally believe that a touch-screen version of this device that included that functionality would be the holy grail of pit controllers.   #2 - This device, much like the original, needs a stand or holder with a magnetic mount that allows me to set the device upright so it can be seen from a distance. These screens on the FireBoard 2 Drive display some nice large numbers. Its unfortunate that you still have to be standing right by the device to see those. I am guessing that there will be another $50 case/stand/holder made available for this one in the near future.   Since I am running two Kamado grills regularly, I am going to use the FireBoard 2 Drive exclusively on one of those for the next few months. If I run into anything noteworthy that I haven't mentioned here, I will post about it again in the future.   I paid $249 for the FireBoard Drive 2. I paid $59 for the FireBoard Drive 20CFM fan. I recommend buying a few of the FireBoard probe wire managers for storing the probe wires. I haven't bought those yet but I intend to get some on the way immediately.   https://atlantagrillcompany.com/collections/fireboard   Note:   I don't know how long the Fireboard 2 Drive will run on a single full battery charge. I'm not even sure that I'm personally concerned with that since I can run it with an external battery   The difference between the FireBoard 2 Thermometer and the FireBoard 2 Drive thermometer is the latter has the built-in ability to run the fan. If you buy the FireBoard 2 Thermometer, you can add fan capability to it by purchasing the $79 FireBoard Drive Fan Control Cable.   #MCMReallyRightStuff #FireBoard
    • By loki
      Waiting, waiting, waiting for the Kamado Big Joe to arrive. Nothing.

Welp, expecting friends from out of town this weekend and can wait no longer. So, I picked up a Weber Summit Charcoal grill (kamado style) along with a Pit Viper fan. Once the Big Joe arrives I'll have two Kamados!

Anyhow, I tried the new Fireboard 2 Drive on this grill along with a Pit Viper fan for a hot smoked pork belly session.

I was in a bit of a rush to get things going so I used the fan to stoke the coals up to temperature with a target of 225F. With the Weber bottom vent fully closed and the top vent 1/4 open, the temperature initially overshot about 15 degrees. I brought the temperature down by opening the lid briefly when adding the belly and to make other adjustments (the dips in the graph).

Once things were settled in, though, the temperature was regulated on the order of tenths of a degree around the 225F target . That's pretty awesome.

Sitting at the computer typing emails and monitoring the temperatures on a browser. With the Fireboard 2 Drive and the kamado, this set-up has better performance and regulation than our kitchen oven.

• By DerHusker
      Our lemon tree is loaded with lemons, so I looked up things to cook with lemons. Chicken Scallopini uses lemon juice so I looked up a recipe and came up with this.

Ingredients:

2 Chicken Breasts (Boneless & Skinless – Cut in half)

1/4 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. black pepper

1/4 cup Flour

1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs

1 tbsp. butter

2 tbsp. capers

1 tsp. minced parsley (and some for garnish)

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

1/4 cup dry white wine (I used Chardonnay)

Cooking spray for pan

I started out covering my counter with plastic wrap and got out 2 boneless / skinless breasts.

I cut them in half horizontally, seasoned them with salt and pepper and covered them with plastic wrap.

I pounded them out to approximately ¼” thick.

I dredged them in a mixture of half flour and half Italian bread crumbs.

I spray my non-stick pan with a little red pepper olive oil and pre-heated it over medium high heat and placed in 2 pieces of chicken.

I cooked it for 3 minutes and flipped them. (You can see the red and golden potatoes cooking on the back burner)

Once all 4 pieces were cooked, I put 1 tbsp. of butter and 1/2 tsp. of flour in the pan. I mixed them together and than put in the capers, parsley, lemon juice and white wine. I let this cook down for approximately 2 minutes.

Once it started to reduce, I put the chicken back in and gave each piece a good coating while they reheated.

Here it is plated up with the potatoes and some green beans.

This was so good!

Thanks for looking.