Sign in to follow this  
social assassin

Kamado Joe Grill Expander: Do I Need to Open Control Tower Vent More When Using?

Hi All,

I am smoking a chuck roast for the first time and now I want to roast some carrots and onions for the latter part of the cook.  I am using the KJ Grill Expander for the first time to roast the veggies.  8 minutes after I put on the veggies I received a text from the iKamand saying, "Grill temperature is dropping. Please adjust your vents or add more charcoal."  When using the GE do I need to open the Kontrol Tower vents even more?  I have the iKamand set at 275F.  Thanks for the help & I hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Mahalo,

Pablo

Absolutely have no idea how those controller thingamajigis work but I would think if it texted you right after you opened the lid to put in the veggies that it interpreted the internal temp dropped?  Only you can determine if you need more coal, not a controller.  I doubt your extender rack affects that.  

Agree with burger meister  Opening the dome will drop the temp my controller has a lid open setting to that ignores the temp drop for x-number of minutes, before it opens the damper and turns on the fan to compensate for the temp drop.What did you do? Did you open the vent more, add charcoal or did you wait for the temp to stabilize?

Agree with above. Do you clip the probe to the dome probe or the main grate? The other thing may be that in addition to opening the lid, you threw a bunch of dense cold stuff into the grill, which is going to suppress he temp for a little while